Started by stub, July 22, 2013, 11:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

Used by the U.S. Navy as a Bulkhead Telephone  

SGL - 395 AAO                     stub

left click on pic to enlarge
Kenneth Stubblefield

wds

I think one of these just sold on Ebay - $54.  I don't think there is a network in this one, so it needs to be connected to a subset.

http://tinyurl.com/mv4lam2
Dave

stub

wds,
          The induction coil should be under the terminal strip, if it is there. Yeah, we will find out in a few days.  No, I didn't get it.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Doug Rose

I was the winner of this phone. I have never seen one without damage, plus the wire receiver locks are a weakness with me with my AE sets. I was sure shocked it went this low...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I received the phone today and it is wonderful. The handset cord look brand new and is a much deeper brown than the pictures show. Handset looks like it was never used.

Stub gave me a suggestion on how to bend the receive lock back into place and it worked perfectly Loosen the screw was key). There is nothing inside but the terminal strip. I brought dial tone to the existing cloth covered single strand wires and it worked. The shell is very thin and fragile. It creaked while I was cleaning it. This has to be the thinnest piece of bakelite I have ever seen on a phone. I am very happy with it....Doug
Kidphone

stub

Doug,
         Does the receiver have 3 wire to it? Hopefully it is the induction coil receiver. I thought it looked empty. Good score anyway!! stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Doug Rose

Quote from: stub on July 25, 2013, 08:09:52 PM
Doug,
         Does the receiver have 3 wire to it? Hopefully it is the induction coil receiver. I thought it looked empty. Good score anyway!! stub
Stub....three wire receiver. I am not a AE guy, but I thought the induction receiver was on the 1A sets with the ringer added on the base. Again...I am not an AE guy....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

stub

Doug,
         AE used the induction coil receiver on all phones that didn't have the induction coil in the phone base. Most used a 205 ohm wire round resistor with the induction coil receiver. I had hoped yours had it . Here's a pic .
Kenneth Stubblefield

Doug Rose

Stub.....I  have an induction handset like on the picture below. It is in like new condition and would fit on this no problems. What benefit would it give me as the phone is working and conversation is crystal clear. I also really do not like to change parts on a toughie like this unless it will benefit the phone. I am not an AE guy, so let me know. Thanks for all the help....Doug
Kidphone

stub

Doug,
         The handset in your pic is a 32A14 . AE used that handset and made a whole new group of phones, so I guess whatever you put it on it was still called a 32A14 Handset telephone. AE put the induction coil receiver in the plain 38 handset also. It's the same as using just a handset with no subset. It will work but for how long? Makes no difference as long as you are happy with it.  ;D  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Doug Rose

Cleaned up wonderfully. I went to hang it in the Phone Room and I cannot figure out how to open it? Two screws connect  to the metal mount. Screws are inside the phone?? HELP!!
Kidphone

poplar1

If it's like a Trimline, the screws are underneath the nameplate.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

Right on David. You remove the flange that holds the dial plate in place and it slide right out. Many thanks, you saved me time and aggravation....Doug

On another note, I do have another one of these with a crack in the side, way in the back, so it displays well. I was looking at it today and it was made by American Electric. Differences are it has a brass plate and has 32A14 handset. I know American Electric was purchased by Automatic Electric and Automatic Electric continue selling some phones under the American Electric name. Is there any documentation on this? How can I tell if it is older or a sold after?
Kidphone