News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Looking for lid label for 634A subset

Started by Bill, October 27, 2010, 01:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

I splurged the other day and spent a couple bucks on a 634A subset. It appears to have all the components - two condensers, an 8A ringer, and a 101A induction coil, as well as the wooden connection block. Although much of the interior wiring appears to be missing, I'm confident that I can replace it and hook it up correctly, especially with the diagram that Bingster posted a while back. However, at some point in the past, some schlub peeled off part of the diagram that is pasted inside the lid, and ran a paintbrush over the rest. For purposes of authenticity, I would like to get an accurate copy of this label and paste it over the old one.  Again, this is purely for appearance, and not for wiring help.

Can anyone point me to a copy of this label that I can print and paste? Many thanks.

Bill

bingster

A Western Electric refurb shop defaced the label.  That subset was originally a sidetone subset (534), but was converted to antisidetone (634) at some point.  Whenever subsets were changed that way, the label was crossed out in black paint.  From what I can see, it looks like all the wiring is there, though.  There should be only six wires in an empty subset like this:  four from the condensers, and two from the ringer.
= DARRIN =

Russ Kirk

Quote from: bingster on October 27, 2010, 01:59:51 PM
A Western Electric refurb shop defaced the label.  That subset was originally a sidetone subset (534), but was converted to antisidetone (634) at some point.  Whenever subsets were changed that way, the label was crossed out in black paint.  From what I can see, it looks like all the wiring is there, though.  There should be only six wires in an empty subset like this:  four from the condensers, and two from the ringer.

Wow,  I learn something every day at this site!!!!

I have photos of the 534A if you want me to post.

Russ....
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Bill

Bingster -

Thanks for the reply. I'll echo Russkirk and say "Wow,  I learn something every day at this site!!!!"

So the refurb shop defaced the label - that actually makes sense, and I guess I shouldn't refer to them as "some shlub". The thing that threw me off is that there is no sign of a 534 designation anywhere in it (it was probably on the label), but the 634-A designation is present in two places, in telco orange paint. One of the places is visible in the photo, and the other is on the outside of the back, behind the ringer gongs. Presumably they applied these new numbers as part of the refurb?

As to the wiring, the thing that makes me think something is missing is that there are only two wires connected to the induction coil. The induction coil has 5 screw terminals, so I expected at least five wires, and the diagram in
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=784.0
appears to show more than that.

So anyway, on with the search for the proper 634-A label. Thanks again.

Bill

bingster

These crossed out labels are actually rather commonplace, and I never understood why they didn't just paste a new 634 label on top of the old one. 

All the extra wires in the diagram are from the cords coming into the subset from the phone and the wall.  If the subset isn't connected to the wall, and a phone isn't connected to the subset, then you'll only have six wires inside the subset.  The rest of the screw terminals on the induction coil are there for the phone's mounting cord and the house station wire/wall cord.  Once everything is hooked up, all the terminals will be used.
= DARRIN =

Bill

Sargeguy

The subset designation was painted over as well.  I have a couple that have been re-labelled and one with 634 with no designation at all.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

cloyd

Bill,
Have you had any luck finding a label for your 634A subset?  I need one too!
Tina
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

Bill

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

cloyd

I found a label for the 634A subset at www.oldphoneshop.com  http://www.oldphoneshop.com/search.php?search_query=wiring+harness&Search=

Take a look and see if that is what is needed.

Tina
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

unbeldi

Here is one to be found on the forum with proof that it was actually used in a refurbished set:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11423.0

I once cleaned it up for printing:

cihensley@aol.com

Good clean up and straightening for printing.

Chuck

Bill