News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Abloy Key for an circa 1980's AT&T Bell Payphone

Started by olderdude60, April 20, 2013, 02:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olderdude60

Hello All - wondering if any one has an Abloy key to unlock a payphone I was given.  I contacted Jody Haralson, and he doesn't have one.  T-Key are easy it seems to order, but no success with finding an Abloy.

Thanks All
Jim

HarrySmith

What is an "Abloy" key? What does it fit? Inquiring minds want to know ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

xhausted110

Abloy is a lock brand. they have very unique locks. a half cylinder shaped key.
- Evan

MacGnG

there are a lot of different keys for abloy. i highly doubt you will find one that works but they can be drilled and replaced. abloys are also very hard to pick, you need special tools.

olderdude60

Thanks to all for responding.....  I was hoping but thought this is what it would come to in removing the lock and replacing it.....  It was worth a shot though!

Hope to post pictures when it's cleaned up and "functional"

Thanks again!
Jim

AE_Collector

T Keys are really a tool not a key. Once the Abloy lock (or other types/makes) has been unlocked a T Key is used to physically move the heavy duty interlocks between upper and lower housing allowing  the upper housing to be removed. This is all part of the "Fortress" tyoe Single Slot Payphones, not the older 3 slot payphones.

Terry

olderdude60

We successfully removed both of the locks by drilling them using progressively larger drill bits - titanium - and a hammer drill.  See my post in All Other Telephone Topics - Drilling Success.....

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9689.msg103339#msg103339

Jim