News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

2 DIAL PARTNER'S ANTIQUE TELEPHONE NORWAY CIRCA 1920

Started by Doug Rose, April 26, 2018, 12:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I saw this great phone on eBay and remembered I had a similar phone. David I think you know who did this great restoration. Mine has not been restored and is how I found it. Newer dials with Metropolitan plates. but still a cool phone. I have no idea how he does such an amazing refurb right down to the decals. I have some work to do on mine.

Mine was just a tad less expensive....Doug

https://tinyurl.com/y86s5wf5
Kidphone

dsk

Always interesting when it pops up rare Norwegian phones.  :)
The Elektrisk Bureau telephone from the early 1920'ies was more or less a copy of a Western Electric export model based on a subset. Elektrisk Bureau made these in black with chrome forks and metal parts on the handset, I am pretty sure these were side-tone booster circuit, often rearranged to reduce booster effect and side-tone. The dials were probably not EB but added later. Never seen that one with 2 dials, but you could probably get it.

These are extremely rare, but not so expensive, the local market is so small. In a condition like yours, I guess it will not sell for more than $125 here.

The one on eBay will probably not be sold to Norway.  8)
But I will link to it on the only Norwegian telephone collectors "forum" I know on Facebook. 
I am interested in what the others will say.

dsk

Ktownphoneco

Your definitely right Doug, the fellow does excellent work.         I did some work on a newer version of a similar set with the Bakelite dial mounts and handset mount, for a Canadian collector, but a gentleman in NJ did most of the work on it, (not the fellow your referring to) and he did manage to replicate the decals.    Perhaps the gentleman your referring to could provide you with a set of decals for your set, which looks very nice in it's original nickel trim.      I found the dial connections interesting on these sets, as certain spring connections on each dial are wired in parallel and the others in series.     The set I did a small amount of work on, was missing a factory ground momentary contact switch.    I replicated the switch and the contact spring stack as best I could.

Doug :   Could you do me a favor please.    I'd like a photo of the terminal strip that runs across on end  or side of the set.     In order to provide enough terminal points inside the set, I needed to provide "one" additional terminal point that wasn't available on the factory terminal strip.      I ended up using a piece out of a composite terminal strip from someething else to create the extra terminal, but I examined the set top to bottom and end to end trying to find an extra terminal point to facilitate wiring both dials into the set.   The original seller from Norway, had the dials wired incorrectly and only one worked, so tracing his circuit was a waste of time.     
Your set is most likely wired correctly, and I'd like to see the entire terminal strip if possible, to see if I can find the location of the extra terminal point on your set.     Pictures of the later version of the set I worked on and the terminal strip inside.
As a side not, the collector who owns the set in the attached pictures, wanted the brass replica grounding button I made, "aged" or tarnished like the factory.      That took some searching, but I found information on it, and ended up carefully hanging the shiny brass parts in a glass jar with about 4 or 5 tablespoons of crystal "Drano" and warm water, and just sat the lid on top without tightening it so any pressure created could easily escape.   The parts don't contact the Drano / water solution, they are merely exposed to the "FUMES" created when the water mixes with the Drano.        Once the first application of Drano ran it's course, I repeated the process a second time, and that did the trick.      Instant aging, or in this case, tarnishing.       Click on photos to enlarge.

Jeff Lamb

RB

dsk

Fantastic jobs done!
I have no pictures of that extra terminal, but yes it was done that way you have done it!
that brass button would have fooled me! Looks so right.
The dial housing was always block coated on the phones with black cradle.
By the way that bakelite cradle is pretty rare, it is brittle! During WWII they changed it to metal, and that worked so well so they kept it until the making of these ended in 1953. The dials (and transmitter capsules) are originally delivered by STK (Norwegian STC or ITT) due to specifications from the Norwegian TELCO.

The circuitry are so equal to the W.E.302 so the transmitter capsule will fit in hence of electrical characteristics, but are smaller so you have to make an adapter ring or something.

dsk

PS where did you get those brass knobs? DS

Ktownphoneco

DSK  .....    I machined everything you see using my metal lathe.     The collar nut is from a 6 sided (hexagon) brass rod.     The brass knob was cut from brass round stock, and the slight crown was machined.     Threads were cut with a dye.     The holes were drilled on the lathe as well using high speed index drills.

Jeff

dsk

That is pretty many operations, from start to finish. I'm impressed!

dsk

monophone_lover

the item on ebay says this is the only company that makes this type of phone.... i found these on a site.. funny enough just recommended to me by this forum Just thought i would bring this to everyones attention.

according to the site these were not very popular and thus did not sell well hence there rare.

Rob :-*
Rob
ATCA # 4057

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Jeff....I have bad news...it was upgraded  >:(  I guess I know why it was $20, Still a decent JFL phone....Doug
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

monophone_lover

Rob
ATCA # 4057

dsk

Many cool telephones! Sorry about whats inside your phone Dough, but no one can see that when it is closed.
If you need that brown cloth covered cord on another phone, the original was black.

dsk

Doug Rose

thanks Guys, I bought it a long time ago and it was just sitting in a corner, I will clean it up and get the correct dials on it.  I will replace the brown cord with a back cloth cord as Dag mentioned. It is still a nice display phone. ....Doug
Kidphone

dsk