News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Best Oil/Lubricant? for dial.

Started by HowardPgh, November 09, 2012, 10:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contempra

don't forget, the watchmakers recommend oiling watches and mechanical clocks every 3 to 5 years. Which means that we will oil the dials of our phones in the same period . I use clock oil because it is more resistant than the simple oil for watches. I have always done this for many years without ever having problems. I have already tried watch oil, it lasts much less and dries faster than clock oil. so, I prefer clock oil. after 5 or 6 years and even a little longer, I clean and relubricate the dial and normally, even if I clean, there is no dirt, but I still clean in case ..

AL_as_needed

To add my two cents:

I have used something similar to what Christian uses, only under a different name. Made by CK, "Crow Bar"' is also a solvent free lubricant that leaves a smooth film where applied. Unlike other aerosol spray oils, this one foams a bit on contact and clings very well even upside down. Only down side is it tends to be a bit messy to apply right from the can, so I spray into a small plastic cup and use a Q-tip to dab it where i want it. Both this product and 3 in 1 have given me good results. Some phones are on year four and have yet to need re-oiling.
TWinbrook7

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Babybearjs on May 29, 2011, 04:44:57 PM
Dennis, I picked up some silicone spray and used it on a AE 24 dial. at first, I thought it did'nt work because the unit was still sticky. then about 10 minutes later, the dial started working fine... is silicone spay good to use, or is watch oil better? I normally have used WD-40 for everything and this is the first time I used silicone. what doe the "experts" recommend??  John

In my opinion, silicone spray is ideal for lubricating a rotary dial, as long as it's the good stuff, i.e., "3M 08897 Silicone Lubricant (Dry Type)". There may be other brands that are fine too, but I know that 3M's stuff is spectacular. The carrier fluid will dry on its own eventually, or, as per the instructions on the can, you can wipe it off with a dry cloth. The silicone is left behind and it adheres aggressively to pretty much anything, providing lubrication that lasts a very long time. It's best to clean the mechanism first with electrical contact cleaner though and let it dry. Also, keep the silicone spray away from the leaf switch contacts. It might not prevent them from working, but it certainly won't help them, because silicone isn't a conductor.

Compared to oil, silicone is slicker, adheres far better/longer, and is "dry", so it doesn't catch dust/dirt. I used it on a 9C dial recently (after cleaning with contact cleaner and a toothpick to get the grime out of the gear teeth; I didn't disassemble the mechanism) and the dial is significantly smoother and quieter now, and still works perfectly. I've attached a before and after recording of the sound of the dial.

guitar1580

So what kind of luck are you all having with the lubricants mentioned above.  I've also used Hoppes 9 in the past but am thinking about ordering some watch or clock oil. 

I've used Fluid Film on vehicles and various items before.  It's lanolin based instead of petroleum based.  It also smells bad, kinda like the old smelly moldy 302s.  Would be a good combination for a smelly phone.

Based on reading the thread, I'm leaning toward synthetic clock oil.  Good idea?

Babybearjs

I just use WD-40 on mine, no problems....
John

countryman

Same here.
Just do not spray it out of it's pressure pack straight into the phone, it would spill all over.
I spray it into a small cup and then use a tiny paint brush to apply it where it is needed. WD40 is a good cleaner and solvent, but also leaves behind a lubricant film that will not gum up.
I never had issues with WD40 being aggressive on plastic. Also it is the least smelling product among it's competitors.
Most dials I had will work fine without any oil when clean. Clock oil, good sewing machine oil or WD40, all used sparingly, will not hurt either.

To clean gummed up, nasty metal dials I have used auto brake cleaner from a pressure pack successfully, followed by compressed air (gently!). On dials with plastic components I would be very hesitant with anything solvent, though. A good Silicone or Teflon product might help here. But normally these types are maintenance free and should work dry when clean.

FABphones

I was advised on here not to use WD40. I stopped immediately and purchased an Oil Pen (left on photo). The needle on it is excellent for precision application.

Since then I have been learning more about the assembly/disassembly of dials and purchased a selection of oils and greases (box on photo).

But Moebius oils are considered amongst the best:
http://www.moebius-lubricants.ch/en/products/oils
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Jack Ryan

Both the PMG (Australia) and AT&T (US) stated that silicone and CRC/WD-40 should not be used as lubricants in dials or relays (anything with electrical contacts).

Here is a page from a PMG manual.

Regards
Jack

Jack Ryan

Here is some text from the AT&T Reliability Manual.

Jack

Key2871

I would think any spray lube that got in the governor would render a rotary dial useless because the dial would return way to fast.
I think an oil pen with a drop in pivot points would be sufficient for most dials.
KEN

Contempra

Quote from: Key2871 on January 01, 2020, 09:54:34 AM
I would think any spray lube that got in the governor would render a rotary dial useless because the dial would return way to fast.
I think an oil pen with a drop in pivot points would be sufficient for most dials.

Absolutely ! no need oil inside the governor . But i put a bit oil not only in pivot points , but also on gear a drop or two .not much . I sometimes put a little oil on the gears to limit the friction between the teeth thus causing metal wear if no oil. Since I am here on this group, I have accumulated some experience in disassembling and reassembling a dial even if I do not do it every day. However, this site here is very useful to me.

Key2871

Yes this is a great place for advise. And I speak from experience, I had an old phone that the dial was sticky and slow. So I used WD on it.. Well it got in the governer and ruined the dial. I even wiped all the lube out and off the surfaces but no go. Well go go it did zing right back to the start, in a heart beat.. So my advise comes from been there done that experience.
KEN

Contempra

Quote from: Key2871 on January 01, 2020, 02:52:23 PM
Yes this is a great place for advise. And I speak from experience, I had an old phone that the dial was sticky and slow. So I used WD on it.. Well it got in the governer and ruined the dial. I even wiped all the lube out and off the surfaces but no go. Well go go it did zing right back to the start, in a heart beat.. So my advise comes from been there done that experience.

Have you tried a machine to clean watch movements and the cleaning solution? It seems that it does wonders.

guitar1580

Yes, I agree ... this is a great place for good advice, and thanks to you guys for answering my question when I revived an old thread.  Sometimes opinions change as a few yrs pass and new products come out.

I also put a little bit of oil on the gears, along with the other friction points.  I've mostly used the Hoppes or Marvel Mystery Oil, but now that I'm getting back into phones, I want one of those needle oiler bottles, so I'll likely get some good clock oil too.

I think I'm going to try this Deoxit that I already have, if I need to clean contacts & switches, and keysets with dirty mechanisms.  I have the red can (cleaner) and gold can (protectant), and they have worked well when I've used them for other applications.  They're pretty well respected in the stereo and guitar worlds, and may be useful to some of you folks.

Let me know if these links are not allowed, and I'll remove them.

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S-6-DeoxIT-Contact-Cleaner/dp/B00006LVEU

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-G5S-6-DeoxIT-Contact-Enhancer/dp/B00FC4YO60

Josh

HarrySmith

The pinpoint oiler is the best for dials in my opinion. The secret is to use it sparingly! A little goes a long way. As has already been said, never lubricate the governor! There is a BSP on servicing dials which includes the lubrication points, I cannot locate it at the moment. IIRC the pivot points for the gears is the only point WE recommends oiling. I also apply a small amount to the gears after they are cleaned but that's just me. Also WD 40 is not good to use for dials. It has it's uses, removing stickers is one thing it works well for. It is meant for Water Dispersment, hence the name, it was the 40th formula developed to get rid of moisture.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"