"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Circa 1900 Lamp/Lighting/Sterilizer/Inhaler Handheld Device, or something else

Started by Doug Rose, December 23, 2017, 08:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Robbie...great idea!! It works for me.

It took a WE MP easily but when I tried to put the Glass MP on a WE,  I had no luck. :-[ I was about to give up, when I tried my North Stick. Fit perfectly! My North MP had a little damage so it was a win-win ;D...Doug
Kidphone

AL_as_needed

Quote from: rdelius on December 23, 2017, 09:47:02 PM
It might be the obvious, A mouthpiece steriliser.chemicals or powder forced through the holes

That is actually really interesting, I can totally see that now as being a "sanitizer" of sorts. Sad part is I bet those are even rarer than the phones nowadays. A very interesting companion piece to any candlestick phone collection!
TWinbrook7

Doug Rose

Glass MP on my North Stick
Kidphone

TelePlay

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 23, 2017, 08:52:04 PM
Press the knob it shoots air into the big tube via the small tube that is hollow. There is a release tab next to the button.

If so, then the "container" at the bottom holding the "cleaner" is missing. I can see where air forced into the outside big tube would put pressure on the contents of the container forcing it up through the smaller middle tube to the mouthpiece.

How it would actually work in real life, the volume of cleaner moved upward by the piston still escapes me. Must be a large volume piston.

But without having a better description, dimensions and images of the internal parts, just guessing. That makes it a MP and the rest scrap metal.

Doug Rose

"That makes it a MP and the rest scrap metal."

That is rather harsh. I clearly bought it for the glass mouthpiece, but i do think the "scrap metal"  has potential, Yes, it is missing the base, but I would consider it a part looking for another part, not scrap metal. 

If you got a rare candlestick missing the base, would you consider it "scrap metal?"

Merry Christmas....Doug
Kidphone

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

AL_as_needed

Quote from: 19and41 on December 27, 2017, 02:46:42 PM
It looks like it might be an inhaler.

With all the interesting drugs and such that were still legal at that time, could be an interesting piece of drug paraphernalia.  ;D
TWinbrook7

AL_as_needed

Actually, a quick look around google did turn up some interesting and scary looking devices.

This one, for asthma, may not be too far off from the device in question. Perhaps it is some sort of "pocket inhaler" version?
TWinbrook7

Doug Rose

I never did find any more info about this, but it is a keeper. I am quite fond of it and it has a place in the collection....thanks for everyone's input on this. The glass MP was a bonus. Top right corner of pic 2, look for the Super bowl Bobble head. Truly not bad for $10.......Doug
Kidphone