News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Forum Clock Problems

Started by Greg G., November 09, 2009, 05:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Just noticed the time stamp on posts is still on daylight savings time.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

Since standard time returns on different dates in different countries, it's up to individual users to make that adjustment in their profiles.  I'm glad you mentioned it... I keep forgetting to change mine.
= DARRIN =

bwanna

thx for the info, bing.  my time stamp was an hour off during DST. i was wondering, the time stamp shown on others posts......is that their time.....or my time. ???
donna

Greg G.

Quote from: bingster on November 09, 2009, 05:49:02 AM
Since standard time returns on different dates in different countries, it's up to individual users to make that adjustment in their profiles.  I'm glad you mentioned it... I keep forgetting to change mine.

Found it, thanks.  Bwanna, the time stamps show the poster's time, e.g. this one should show about 2:30 pm, west coast standard time.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

Greg, your post appears on my computer with the time I received it.  So you posted it at 2:30PM and it shows here as 5:30PM.  (Eastern Time)

bwanna

thx dennis & briny. guess had i been observant, would have figured that out already :o
donna

JorgeAmely

Test: It is 4PM PST now, with an offset of -3.

That means the forum server is somewhere in the Central Time Zone. If you live on the East coast, your offset needs to be +1. That is interesting because when we all were in DST time, my offset was -2 to make the post times correct.

Jorge

Dennis Markham

Often systems reference the time to Greenwich Mean Time or UTC (Universal Coordinated Time).  In the aviation world UTC is referred to Zulu time.  To avoid confusion of time zones times are referenced to Greenwich Mean Time.  It is just after 7:00PM in the U.S. Eastern time zone now....during non-daylight savings time there is a 5 hour difference, or -5.  That means it is midnight GMT.  During daylight savings time the difference is -4 hours.  The Pacific time zone is -8, Mountain is -7, Centeral -6 and again Eastern time is -5.  Subtract one hour for daylight savings time.  

So if you were going to fly an airplane and had clearance to depart at 1500 hours, Zulu and you were in the Eastern time zone you would know your clearance was for 10:00AM local time.  Weather reports are given in Zulu time too so the person that gets the weather knows how old the information is that is being provided.

Got that?

bwanna

uhh...thx ???, dennis

forum time must be EST. my offset is 0 & the time stamp is correct.  

so now when i see briny has posted at 4am, i know it is only 1am for him :o

ps briny.....just used your name for example, i am not keeping tabs on you  8)
donna

Dennis Markham

bwanna

thank you, dennis

8)
donna

Phonesrfun

Yep, I got it.  Ham radio logs are often kept in Zulu, so I have a clock on my desk set to GMT (Zulu).  Isn't it a wonder how many terms we can come up with just to define time.  Anyone ever listen to WWV?

-Bill G

bingster

Nope, the ticking makes me drowsy.
= DARRIN =

Greg G.

My favorite time pranks:

A kid once asked me if I had the time, I said "Yes, I do!"

A customer once asked me if I knew what time it was.  I looked at my watch and said "I do now!"
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: bwanna on November 09, 2009, 08:19:17 PM
uhh...thx ???, dennis

forum time must be EST. my offset is 0 & the time stamp is correct.  

so now when i see briny has posted at 4am, i know it is only 1am for him :o

ps briny.....just used your name for example, i am not keeping tabs on you  8)

Go ahead, stalk me, I'll take any attention I can get!   :D
- Mike Row
e