News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WEBellSystemChristian's Bedroom Telephone Museum

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, January 28, 2014, 05:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Christian.....Superb! What a great display. Do you control the ringing from the 616? You should be very proud. You also have one cool Dad, but you know that...Doug
Kidphone

WesternElectricBen

I agree with Doug, you have an awesome dad!

I was thinking about doing a info card thing, but rather than an actual card, but a dial center.

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks for the kind words everyone, too many comments to respond to :).

Ben, the dial card display card idea is pretty clever.

Doug, thank you, and the 616 does control the ringing, each extension ringing sequentially.

AE40FAN, anyone can borrow ideas used here.

MT, maybe they can move out instead of me when I graduate High School :P.

Dave, in a couple months, I'll be forced to move my collection into the Empire State Building and purchase a thousand 616s. (Hmm, the ultimate alarm clock...)

Harry, he supports, helps, and is starting to get addicted to the hobby. I don't have another wall, but I could rent an apartment...

MT, my dad does that every morning now to get me ready for school, and it works!!!

Larry and Ben, Oh boy, I can't wait until my museum is hooked up to a phone line, when I hear 80 bells ringing in the middle of the night because someone in India got the wrong number :P.

Ben, be prepared for some confusing wiring and extension sequence planning ahead of you. Like any project like this, I would suggest planning it all out in advance before getting to work.

Dave203, it can be a hassle at times (according to my dad,) but it's worth it in the end.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WesternElectricBen

Yeah,

I agree, I have so far thought through how I am going to run the wiremold, (home depot version) and how I am going to have either 1-3 jacks per shelf (depending on type of cord) and how it will all be wired to the 616, (1 jack per ext or 3 per ext.)

This was a good idea, and I'm glad you could make me believe it could actually happen..  :)

Ben

AE_Collector

Great display Christian! Very nicely one.

Those RJ11 jacks are AE...or at least they were an AE design but I have seen copies of the design now that AE has left us for good (RIP AECo).

I see the cable trough head down to the 6-16 at the end of the display. How did you handle all the wires inside the KSU?

Terry

WesternElectricBen

WEBellSystemChristian

Wow, almost a year already? :o

My room is pretty messy, but I'm cleaning it and it should be clean pretty soon. I have a ton of stuff that was added to my collection since the last update!
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Ok, here is how my display shelf looks now. I apologize if anything looks messy; I quick threw everything together so I could post pictures tonight!

As you can see, my collection has more than doubled in the past year, there is a bit more of everything, and then some!

I have many, many new 500s (undoubtedly my favorite phone model) most of which are soft plastic, and all hold a very warm place in my collection. The one that I love the most in ABS is my 10-59 Dark Gold set., which is very unusual to me.

Since my scissors candlesticks were taking up a ton of room on my candlestick shelf, I decided to use a step-stool as a display area for my desk candlesticks, and save the old shelf for my scissors-mounted phones (I have a 102-202 scissors mount that I'm waiting to use).

I have really expanded my 10 button collection, and even used a separate shelf for my 10 button "business sets" (1565H, 1515B, 1500M).

I also have 2 rotary payphones; one is a beige WE 233G, and the other is a green WE 1C1 single-slot. The 1C1 I bought a long time ago on Craigslist, and it works flawlessly on our phone line (my parents didn't want to stop using it as a home phone in the Master Bedroom, and they continued doing so for months)! The 233G is pretty recent, and still needs new locks and a vault door, plus other parts to get it working like a regular phone. The insides were gutted, but I'm still very happy to own it!
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Looks really nice, Christian. It has really filled up, what are you up to now? I see expansion is necessary very soon, I have the same "issue."

How is plugging all of your phones in the Panisonic 616 going?

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on November 10, 2014, 09:30:25 PM
Looks really nice, Christian. It has really filled up, what are you up to now? I see expansion is necessary very soon, I have the same "issue."

How is plugging all of your phones in the Panisonic 616 going?

Ben
I think I'm up to about 130 phones. Not all of them are shown here, though, some of them are in other parts of my room or hooked up around my house.

My 616 is doing very well, and I haven't run out of jacks yet! ;D Most of my phones were just put on my shelf a few minutes ago for the pictures, but aren't actually hooked up yet. Whenever I add a 500 to the collection, I usually swap jacks with another phone so I can accommodate it. In the space that phone will sit, a jack that doesn't fit the plug on that phone is sometimes assigned to it (say, the 5th phone on the shelf is coupled up with the 5th jack on the wall, whether it's modular or 4-prong) and I have to find the right plug on another phone so I can use that phone on display.

(I hope that all made sense, I'm very tired.)
Christian Petterson

JimH

That is a beautiful collection to be proud of!  I really like the way you have them displayed.  I especially like the green/gray payphone.  Is that a repaint or original?  I have one but it is charcoal/black.  I think the gray/green gives it more of a vintage look.

Jim
Jim H.

Kenton K

I love It! Just think of how amazing our collection would be if we all combined our telephones. That would be a sight to behold!

Kk

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: JimH on November 11, 2014, 12:22:15 AM
I especially like the green/gray payphone.  Is that a repaint or original?  I have one but it is charcoal/black.  I think the gray/green gives it more of a vintage look.

Jim
The paint is all original, and is in fantastic condition! This is the first green rotary one-slot that I've ever seen!
Christian Petterson

Dave203

Wow the collection has grown and I'm sure it's even larger now.
I like the green pay phone.  I have one just like it but it's black n silver. They used to be green and silver here in Connecticut in the early 80's.