News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Gray Pay Station ID help

Started by Hudsonite, September 10, 2023, 04:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hudsonite

I've had this for over 30 years and it's time to properly restore it. I don't know what I don't know though when it comes to correct parts. First thing, the ID plate is missing so can some one tell me what model this is?

FABphones

Could you add photos looking down on the phone, of the rear and of inside?

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Hudsonite

Here's some additional pics.  The dial area looks like it had a card holder there and no dial

Hudsonite

Couple of other clues; it has a cast bronze coin slot and a "Long Security" 10L coin vault lock

Hudsonite

More pictures

G-Man

Merely a guess but I suspect that it was manufactured by Gray for Automatic Electric since it has both an early AECo "salad fork" switchook for handsets and coin signal bridge.
It may have originally been a two-piece (separate trans./Rec.) but converted to a handset model.
Also, George Long was an officer with the Gray Paystation Co. and developed that style of lock, so it is period correct for your paystation. The bronze coin gauge is also indigenous to this vintage of paystation.
As you surmised it was not equipped with a dial and was used in Manual service (remove switchook to signal operator).
It also appears that it was never equipped with a coin relay, so it would have been a manual postpay model where you did not deposit coins unless instructed by the operator, once she reached your party.
The true payphone experts, Stan S. or Jim Engle can correct any inaccuracies or expand further on this.

G-Man

Below are a few of the models that are were used for postpay service. There would have been others as well.

• 34A11 P2 Manual Postpay
  • 68  Manual Postpay
  • 150KJ Magneto or Manual Postpay

G-Man

Here is another model.

See if tell by the attached photo if it is similar to yours.

Note that it is not equipped with the "salad fork" switchook arm. I'm not certain but it may not have appeared until after Automatic Electric gained control of the Gray Co.

Hudsonite

Thanks so much! That's it

I now believe strongly this to be a Code 150-KJ.  I know its post-1937 because of the "The Gray Manufacturing Company" & "Hartford, Conn" on the lower housing. I'm likely going to convert it to a 150-GJ so I have a dial.