News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Transparant Socotel S63

Started by Matilo Telephones, March 20, 2015, 06:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matilo Telephones

A couple of weeks ago I won this in an online auction. Was kind of surprised that I got it at 40 euros plus 6.75 euros shipping.

It is a Socotel S63. The S63 was the French standard telephone from 1963 until around 1980. Normally they are 2 tone grey or 2 tone brown, but green, orange and blue can also be found (and some other colors).

Not sure what it is made of. The plastic is a bit soft, softer than normal ABS. Does anybody know what materiel this is?
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

LarryInMichigan

That is clearly a very nice find for a very good price!

Larry

unbeldi

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on March 20, 2015, 06:29:47 PM
A couple of weeks ago I won this in an online auction. Was kind of surprised that I got it at 40 euros.

It is a Socotel S63. The S63 was the French standard telephone from 1963 until around 1980. Normally they are 2 tone grey or 2 tone brown, but green, orange and blue can also be found (and some other colors).

Not sure what it is made of. The plastic is a bit soft, softer than normal ABS. Does anybody know what materiel this is?

I can't do a chemical analysis by pictures, but I believe many of the clear objects and phones were made with poly-methyl-methacrylate (PMMA), also known as Plexiglas, Lucite, and more I am sure.

Western Electric used it for making finger wheels on dials starting in the 50s.

Mr. Bones

Very nice phone, Arwin... enjoy! 8)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

HarrySmith

Clearly, congratulations are in order on this awesome phone and a great deal!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

compubit

Congrats on winning a sharp looking phone!

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Matilo Telephones

Thanks guys, I'm very happy with it. I always wanted to have a closer look at the S63 and this one is much nicer than the regular brown of grey ones.

All Original cords too, in good condition.

I though about plexiglas too, but this material is a bit soft. Plexiglas is usually harder. I is a bit like vinyl, like the kind records were made of. I just asked in case somebody knew.
Groeten,

Arwin

unbeldi

Since it is clear, it may be very easy to stick it into an infrared spectrophotometer, and you'd know very quickly what it is.
The hardness isn't so significant, almost all plastics can be formulated in a wide spectrum of hardness, depending on add-on materials.
Perhaps it's a cellulosic, like cellulose acetate, Tenite, which feels very natural, almost like a wood finish.  Many consumer products were and still are made of it. You have any friends at your local university or college chemistry department? This would be a very quick measurement, since you don't have to pulverize it to press semi-transparent pellets.

Matilo Telephones

Well, I know somebody with access to the LHC. I'll have a word with him.
Groeten,

Arwin