News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

C-NET 425B very sensitive to motion

Started by Partyline4, July 01, 2013, 07:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Partyline4

I picked up a post divestiture AT&T Model 500 for free at a local recycling place.

The dial is 1968 W.E and turns like a beaut.

The only problem with the phone is that it is very, and I mean VERY  sensitive to motion.

I narrowed down the loose connection inside the network to be where the Green Dial wire connects to the network.

Even stranger, I hooked the dial up to another model 500 and it seemed to give a similar problem, no dial-tone!

Touching a section of the hook-switch paddles seemed to connect to the dial-tone. I could not see any problems with the paddles connecting or disconnecting.

The point where the dial green wire is on the network is a little loose like someone has messed with it at some time.

Any help appreciated.   

Partyline4

*UPDATE*

Problem has been located in HANDSET.

Either receiver or transmitter.

poplar1

Is the green dial wire on RR and the blue dial wire on F?

Since you apparently have 2 problems (the dial and the network), it may be best to isolate them one at a time. You can temporarily disconnect the dial (write down where the wires go first), then move the other wire that is on F to RR. Now you can troubleshoot the network problem.

There should be continuity between the green and blue dial contacts, except when they open during dialing (they open and close 6 times if you dial a 6, for example). If you take the plastic back off the dial, you can see whether the contacts are touching while the dial is at rest.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Partyline4

Problem has been absolutely located as the handest cord

I'll be darned!