News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lamp Phone Atrocities!

Started by Greg G., May 06, 2009, 12:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

I like the Seller....on toast.  Porknbean!

Terry

TelePlay

Quote from: HarrySmith on June 04, 2013, 04:15:31 PM
A nice AE lamp >:(

I saw that lamp phone shortly after it was listed but not being familiar with older AE phones, didn't know if the base was indeed a desk set, so didn't post it here. Glad you did if it really was a phone once.

The handset certainly look old and original but the base, the bottom pads and the shape of the base was something I'd never seen before.

How much would that phone have gotten on eBay if it were not a lamp?

AE_Collector

I get that one mixed up all the time. AE 7 or AE 8?...Stub?

Probably only $60 to $80 tops without the lamp!

Terry

zaphod01

Here's a new one for you WE500 fans...

"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

AE_Collector

I think those ebay items pretty much started this thread didn't they?

Terry

stub

Terry,
          It could be a AE-7 for central battery or a AE-19 for magneto service.  Some people should be :o ASHAMED :o of what they do to a poor old telephone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_Collector on June 24, 2013, 01:41:07 AMI think those eBay items pretty much started this thread didn't they?

Terry, back from vacation?  :D or  :'(

Yes, that popular destructive version has been around this thread a few times. There is a black one on page 11, a spotted one on page 13, a white one on page 14 and a black one on page 16. And, a multi-line 565 on page 19.

AE_Collector

I am back now. Off the ship by 8 AM this morning and home at 9:15. Okay, these "phone lamps" didn't start this thread then. I didn't take the time to thoroughly research my comment as Internet on cruise ships is similar in price to Colored AE 40's and 50's!

Terry

TelePlay

Here's a new variation on an old theme - sans transmitter this time.

Seller says: "VINTAGE CANDLESTICK PHONE LAMP AUTHENTIC WESTERN ELECTRIC KOOL !!!! "

AE_Collector

Could be a "Statutory Bronze" lamp with a bit more work!

Terry

TelePlay

This could have been worth the asking price what it not been lobotomized. This phone's exterior is in great condition. Who knows what's been done to the coin chute, et. al. inside.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141010204816

Seller says: "You are bidding on a Vintage Western Electric Bell Company 3-Slot Pay Phone Lamp, Circa 1950's.  This is truly a unique piece of history converted into a working Lamp.  It would look great in a mid century style home or in a Den or Game Room.  This is an authentic pay phone with all the original parts.  It is marked "Bell System Property" Not For Sale  Western Electric.  Shade not included due to the excessive phone weight during shipping, (the phone would crush the shade).   I do not have keys to the lock.  The pay phone weighs 31 pounds.   FREE SHIPPING."

Auction opening bid requested: $348.88 with FREE SHIPPING

AE_Collector

For the price I suspect that it is going to continue to look great IN HIS:

mid century style home or in a Den or Game Room.

Terry

TelePlay

This phone, according to the seller, is "Used" and it has been "Restored into a light." Looking at the first photo, it might be best to not plug it in, much less turn it on in its current condition.

The $200 asked starting bid is also shocking, IMHO.

Antique American Bell Company Candle Stick Phone, Restored Light Telephone 1900s

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231020129402

poplar1

20B converted to a 20BC then into a lamp---still, they didn't mess with the perch so it could be unconverted. Not sure about the transmitter, though, or the hook switch contacts if they've switched 120VAC for the lamp.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WEBellSystemChristian

And to think that I felt like I was destroying a phone by smearing Johnson Wax all over a freshly polished 500 shell :o
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford