News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

US phones in the UK?

Started by HarrySmith, February 17, 2011, 04:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I recently sold an AE40 on eBay. The buyer is in the UK. He obviously knows nothing about phones, he states since you were selling it in this market I figured it would work. I know nothing about UK phone service, can one of our European members advise me will it work? Does anything besides the plug need to be changed?
Thanks!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Tom B

Harry
The US phones require minimal modifications to work on UK phone lines, from my experience. The line cords have to be wired within the phones the same way the US line cords are - 2 wires, red and green. The black wire from the ringer is placed with green line wire at L2 and there you go with the red line wire with the red ringer wire at L1.
Tom

migette

Hi I have numerous phones from US and can say they all work perfectly, I use the standard US modular plug and sockets, wire them up in parellel, use two wire, A  and  B  as used here which is the tip and ring in US derived from the switchboard jack plug where the speach cct. used the tip and ring the sleeve being used for signaling and supervisory purposes. Also if you get bell tinkle then adjust the bias tensioner on the ringer. Why not suggest the person join this excellent forum   Hope this helps   Peter

gpo706

WE phones are the easiest to get working in the UK, easier than GPO cast-offs, simple rewire or experimentation.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"