"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Using Conduit?

Started by Ed D, April 27, 2011, 11:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed D

Hello everyone,

I am going to be working from my home in about two weeks, and ordered a POTS business line today from AT&T, our local phone co.  I also ordered a broadband cable line to be installed.

Both the phone wires and the cable come into the back of the house and directly into my workshop.  There are several fluorescent fixtures in there.  I want to shield the phone from any interference.

Since there is no ceiling in the workshop, and I can run wires easily between the ceilings outside the shop and the floor above, running wires is a piece of cake.

Then I started thinking (this can be a VERY dangerous thing!)  I wondered about running conduit to shield the phone wires, and maybe even run the cable thru there as well.  Then I have my home phone line coming thru the outside wall as well.  If I run that to my home office room, that would be kickin' for me.

So, I have some questions...

I can pick-up conduit from Lows or Home on the Range Train Depot.  Is it OK to run all three sets of wires (home phone + business phone + cable broadband) thru the same conduit, or should each phone line be in a separate conduit (with one phone line sharing the conduit with the broadband cable) to avoid crosstalk interference on the phone lines?

Do I need to use any particular kind of wire for the phone lines?  I have heard of twisted pair, shielded, etc. but I want to do this right the first time.  I may even rewire the entire house for phone service so I have jacks in every room.  (A chicken in every pot and a phone in every room!)

Any ideas or help is appreciated.  I gotta get this done toot-sweet as the new phone installs on May 6th.

Thanks!
Ed

AE_Collector

Hi Ed:

I'm no electrical engineer, not even close. I am a phone installer though with 35 years experience. Respectfully, I think you are wasting your energy messing with conduit for phone/tv/internet in a house.

Good quality RG6 coax is very well shielded. Phone lines don't really need to be shielded but using CAT5 cable will be real good. Home run each phone jack to a central place or even to the NID (phone protector). I'd run them to a distribution spot that is fed by a CAT5 from the protector and terminate everything on 66, BIX or 110 blocks and use jumper wire to loop the phone line to each jack run at that point.

No problem having more than one phone line in the same CAT5 cable. Put them on the blue pair (green/red in jack) and the oronge pair (black/yellow in the jack) and then you can plug in a 2 line phone and pick up both lines or use a 2 line splitter (looks like the usual double jack adapter but splits out each pair in the jack to its own jack) so you can plug a phone into either line easily without having to mess with connections at the distribution point each time you want to rearrange things.

Terry

Ed D

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the advice.  But you kind of lost me on a couple of things (I'm not well versed in the finer points of hooking up stuff.)

Sounds like I should run a separate line for each extension instead of daisy chaining them.  That is OK with me.

I'm totally lost on what "66, BIX or 110 blocks" are, and where does one get them?  And not clear on what "and use jumper wire to loop the phone line to each jack run at that point" means.  (OK, maybe I'm a little dense.  But that never stopped me before.)   :D

Thanks,
Ed

Jim Stettler

Don't worry Ed,
The base concept is that each jack should be "Home Run" to a central point. (seperate cables)

This point is best located in  the unfinished utility room.
A separate cable will be ran to the Demarc (D-Mark) Demarcation point.

D-marc(The grey box from the tel-co)

We can walk you thru it as needed.  It is pretty straight forward.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Greg G.

Quote from: Ed D on April 27, 2011, 11:13:30 PM

Since there is no ceiling in the workshop, ...

What do you do when it rains?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

DavePEI

Quote from: Brinybay on April 28, 2011, 05:59:30 AM

Wear a rain coat!  ;D
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Here's one to scare you off.

(This is BIX by the way and the small box top left is the security system control box which is also terminated and cross connected to security runs on the BIX frame next to it. Black cables are COAX runs. Phone runs top right and network runs lower right)

Terry

AE_Collector

Then you just run a couple of patch cords to tie everything together.

gpo706

AE - that looks like the corner of my room, no wonder I can't find the right cables, you have obviously sneaked through my room in the middle of the night and stole em!  :)
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

AE_Collector

Quote from: gpo706 on April 28, 2011, 05:44:17 PM
you have obviously sneaked through my room in the middle of the night and stole em!  :)

There's one way to tell for sure....are any of your two tone GPO sets missing?

Terry

Ed D

Quote from: AE_collector on April 28, 2011, 10:36:42 AM
Then you just run a couple of patch cords to tie everything together.
Utter simplicity...  :o

I love it!

Ed D

Quote from: Brinybay on April 28, 2011, 06:21:53 AM
Quote from: DavePEI on April 28, 2011, 06:19:32 AM
Quote from: Brinybay on April 28, 2011, 05:59:30 AM

Wear a rain coat!
I really like you guys!  You've got the same sense of humor as me.   :D

gpo706

Quote from: AE_collector on April 28, 2011, 06:44:55 PM
Quote from: gpo706 on April 28, 2011, 05:44:17 PM
you have obviously sneaked through my room in the middle of the night and stole em!  :)

There's one way to tell for sure....are any of your two tone GPO sets missing?

Terry

No, he only took the cabling, the junk 706's he left in the box... :)
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Ed D

OK, so I've read where I can use CAT5 or CAT5E cable interchangeably.  The CAT5E seems to be the same cost as plain ol' CAT5, and I can also use it to make a network cable should I need to do so.  Cool!

And apparently the connection blocks are strips of terminals that let me connect the POTS line from the Demark point.  So I wonder about this "Punch Down" connecting that I am seeing, or just get a terminal strip with screw-down connectors.  I suppose I could crimp terminal lugs on the wires to make a better and easier connection on the terminal strip.  Or is there an advantage to punch down?

Hey, I may have actually learned something.

BB - I keep an umbrella and galoshes in the workshop...   8)

Ed