"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

SC 1212 Ringer

Started by cloyd, December 01, 2016, 03:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloyd

Hello experts!

This is the ringer that I received with my online purchase.  Is this an original ringer for the 1212?  What else can you tell me about it?  Is it a frequency ringer?

Thank you,

Tina Loyd
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

unbeldi

Quote from: cloyd on December 01, 2016, 03:07:27 PM
Hello experts!

This is the ringer that I received with my online purchase.  Is this an original ringer for the 1212?  What else can you tell me about it?  Is it a frequency ringer?

Thank you,

Tina Loyd

Yes, it is a frequency ringer.   The frequency is stamped on it: 50 Hz

~

If you take it off the base, on the other side it should also have the type and frequency stamped.   50 Hz is also indicated by type G.

PS: much like this one:

cloyd

Unbeldi,
Thank you for your response.
Am I right that an SC 1212AB SHOULD have been equipped with a straight line ringer?
Tina
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

unbeldi

Quote from: cloyd on December 01, 2016, 04:59:41 PM
Unbeldi,
Thank you for your response.
Am I right that an SC 1212AB SHOULD have been equipped with a straight line ringer?
Tina

Yes, that's what the catalogs says.

It's not unusual to find a different ringer in a phone. When the phone was reconditioned for another subscriber the new destination was a party-line subscriber, while the previous customer had an individual line.

LarryInMichigan

When I got my SC 1212, it also had a frequency ringer.  I bought an SL ringer for a very reasonable price from Steve Hilsz.  Perhaps he still has some.

Larry

cloyd

Thank you,

Unbeldi, I appreciate your input because I was feeling like someone dumped all their unuseable spare parts into one phone and then sold it as "not working."  The AE dial with plastic parts is what made me suspect that it wasn't an original, "as found" phone.

I sent an email to Steve and am just waiting on a response.  I find searching on OPW to be frustrating and didn't see any straight line ringers available that would be an original replacement.

If anyone has one and can spare it, we can talk!

Tina

cloyd

Update,
I think the phone was last used as a manual because the newer rotary dial that was in it wasn't wired up and there was a connection board that terminated many of the dial wires.

I bought an AE dial (Type 24) and a straight line ringer (65C, 247) from Steve Hiltz.  It looks like a proper fatboy now. When I gave it a try though, there was no sign of life.  I had a dial tone before adding the dial and ringer.  The cords are cracked and may have lost their continuity after handling the phone.  I have to test that.

I am still working on the wiring and will update when I can.

Tina Loyd

LarryInMichigan

Tina,

Did you check out the ebay listing I sent you: http://www.ebay.com/itm/302159808768?

Larry

rbouch

I got one ( sl ringer for sc1212) through Mary at phoneco.  She also had the matching capacitor.

cloyd

Thank you for the replies!

I was working with Steve and he had the ringer so I went with that.  I definitely appreciate the ebay tip though.  It's nice to have many eyes scouring the web.

I didn't think of phoneco.  I am persona non grata there since I asked what they would want for a tiny split-shaft pin from a Kellogg window.  They wanted $10 for the pin and $5 shipping and I said no thank you.  Mary chewed me out for putting her to all the work of finding one and having it shined up etc.

I bought a Kellogg ringer from them for a total of $20 which was kinda steep, I thought.  IMHO, if it is something you really need and it is specific enough that you can't get anything else, then I recommend them.

Tina Loyd