News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

TP-6-A with WE #6 dial (has tone, rings, won't dial)

Started by Texas1880, April 05, 2019, 11:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas1880

I'm resurrecting my toaster. The dial that was in there, well, idk. 15 years, two states, I can't remember why I took it out or what happened to it. So I bought a #6 from oldphoneworks, reconditioned. They're a good supplier, so I know the dial is ok. Now the diagram on the bottom is of course different when it comes to the dial. But I can't see what I did wrong here. Only red and green on line cord are connected of course, to L1 and L2.

poplar1

Is there a wire (probably from the hookswitch) on Y of the dial?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Texas1880

Quote from: poplar1 on April 05, 2019, 11:32:03 PM
Is there a wire (probably from the hookswitch) on Y of the dial?

No wire at all on y. Yellow wire from hook switch is currently on L2/Y as diagram shows.

Texas1880

Added diagram from bottom of phone for reference

Babybearjs

the phones is wired exactly like a 302. follow cross reference... verify wiring...
John

poplar1

Quote from: Texas1880 on April 05, 2019, 11:40:12 PM
No wire at all on y. Yellow wire from hook switch is currently on L2/Y as diagram shows.

BROWN hookswitch wire goes to Y on dial.
BLUE hookswitch wire goes to BB on dial.

Texas1880

Quote from: poplar1 on April 06, 2019, 01:14:39 PM
BROWN hookswitch wire goes to Y on dial.
BLUE hookswitch wire goes to BB on dial.

Thanks. Know what it was? The vaunted oldphoneworks sent me a bum dial! The contacts weren't even on the cam for pulse! I fiddled with the contact screws, and made contact, and the cam made contact and dials perfectly. Oh, and I did have the brown hooks switch contact wire wrong. But it still didn't work. Really disappointing from oldphoneworks.

poplar1

The diagram on the base of your TP-6-A is for the manual (non-dial) wiring.

Yellow hookswitch to L2.
Brown hookswitch, black handset, and black condenser tied together on the dial blank.

(With a Western Electric 5H or 6A dial, the brown hookswitch goes to Y. Both black handset wire and black condenser wire to to BK on dial. The Y and BK contacts are normally closed, except when pulsing out the number dialed.)

Diagram: Blue hookswitch wire and white handset wire tied together on the dial blank.
WE dial: Blue to BB and white to W.
The BB and W dial contacts are normally closed (shorted). As soon as you turn the dial finger wheel clockwise, they open so that you don't hear loud pops from the dial pulsing out.

Diagram: Slate-Red goes to a separate screw terminal on the diagram blank.
WE dial: Slate-Red to R on dial.

Texas1880

Quote from: poplar1 on April 07, 2019, 07:49:35 AM
The diagram on the base of your TP-6-A is for the manual (non-dial) wiring.

Yellow hookswitch to L2.
Brown hookswitch, black handset, and black condenser tied together on the dial blank.

(With a Western Electric 5H or 6A dial, the brown hookswitch goes to Y. Both black handset wire and black condenser wire to to BK on dial. The Y and BK contacts are normally closed, except when pulsing out the number dialed.)

Diagram: Blue hookswitch wire and white handset wire tied together on the dial blank.
WE dial: Blue to BB and white to W.
The BB and W dial contacts are normally closed (shorted). As soon as you turn the dial finger wheel clockwise, they open so that you don't hear loud pops from the dial pulsing out.

Diagram: Slate-Red goes to a separate screw terminal on the diagram blank.
WE dial: Slate-Red to R on dial.

Thanks poplar. I got it. That diagram on the bottom of the phone threw me. But I traced all circuits and it works. Having the new dial screwed up threw me too, because I knew I had it right. It's fine now, it dials and works great.