News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric Interphone?

Started by Doug Rose, December 30, 2017, 08:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Jan found this during the summer, I thought it was just a recessed kitchen phone until I saw the Intercom. Is this a Bell System Interphone? Phone is fully functional but I have no way to test the speaker.....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

Payphone installer

When I was a installer for Cincinnati Bell back in the 80's there were high raise apartment buildings that had these installed in the wall as you came in the front door of the apartment. I am not sure how it worked but I do know you could answer the front door with the phone. It also was a regular phone. The only thing I ever repaired was the cord real. They went bad often and were hard to get. We had to have them ordered. I think the speaker was wired to the intercom at the building door. It was a long time ago.

paul-f

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 30, 2017, 08:08:33 AM
Jan found this during the summer, I thought it was just a recessed kitchen phone until I saw the Intercom. Is this a Bell System Interphone? Phone is fully functional but I have no way to test the speaker.....thanks....Doug

What's the model number? It should be stamped on the back in ink.

From the photo, it looks like the standard 750-type panel phone. If so, the holes on the front are to let the sound out from the ringer on the back of the panel.

There are variations that have extra features, including speakerphone. More info can be found in the BSPs referenced here:
  http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm#Panel_Phones

Here's a photo of the back of a typical 750 single line set.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Doug Rose

thanks Paul.....it is a 7508A like the one pictured....Doug
Kidphone