News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cord Board...any still in use

Started by Michaelman2, November 03, 2009, 02:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michaelman2

Hi all, does anyone know of a cord switchboard that is still in use?

dsk

;D I may be stretching your question?

Yes I have a 10 lines (magneto) field exchange in my basement, 1 rotary dial line in use.

And I have one x-German WWII field exchange, but not in use.  ;D

dsk

marty

Hi All;
I may be stretching this a little as well..
But I have been using my cord board for over a year, with my four phones..
THANK YOU Marty

DavePEI

Yep, a few around in collector use but it seems to me there might have been one in commercial use back until a couple of years ago on an Island on the pacific coast. There may be some in use in Northern fishing and hunting camps, etc., but mostly they are gone from normal commercial use.

I have:

555 PBX in operational display

1240 Magneto board in operational display.

SB-22PT Korean War/Vietnam vintage Magneto board in operational display

1317 6 line magneto board (not yet on display)

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

ESalter

I know this isn't what you meant, but since everyone else is listing what they have...  We have a 555 PBX board on display and operational as well as a 556 board on display but not yet operating.

---Eric

marty

Hi All;
Eric, what is a 556 ??
THANK YOU Marty

poplar1

555 is a complete PBX; 556 is a console used with a dial PBX such as a 701B or 756A. It does not have lamps associated with the lines (stations) but only with the trunks (outside lines). On a 556, The extensions dial 0 to reach the attendant, and these calls are answered on the attendant trunk jacks. The line (station) jacks are used for extending incoming trunk calls.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

ESalter

The 556 is an operator board meant to accompany a large automatic PBX.  Ours has 10 or so trunks and 100 extensions.  The trunks have lamps but the extensions don't.  On automatic systems the extension phones could have line keys or the system would have "dial 8 for an outside line".  Incoming calls on those trunks couldn't automatically be routed to the correct extension, that was the purpose of this board.  Since it doesn't have lamps on the extensions, to tell if one was busy you touched the tip of the cord to the sleeve of the jack.  If you heard a click, it was busy, if not, they weren't and you could plug in and ring them.

We have a 200 line AE SxS PBX(made from CO shelves) we want to hook this board up to eventually.

---Eric

marty

Hi All;
Eric, when you get the cord board married to the SxS, please let me know how you did it .. I would love a schematic.. As If possible I would like to do the same or similiar..
THANK YOU Marty