News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Green 1955 Soft Plastic 500

Started by TelePlay, July 11, 2015, 11:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Another possibility....getting an open face clear finger wheel at Benjamin Moore......hopefully they can match.
Kidphone

andre_janew

I think it just begs to be customized either with a metal fingerwheel painted to match or say a brushed aluminum one.   Of course, that is just my opinion which I highly respect!

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: andre_janew on July 21, 2015, 06:06:16 PM
I think it just begs to be customized either with a metal fingerwheel painted to match or say a brushed aluminum one.   Of course, that is just my opinion which I highly respect!

It begs to me that it wants an original open center finger wheel.

Ben

Doug Rose

Andre...I have seen the light, I highly respect your opinion as well. I agree...you should paint the phone black to match the finger wheel. I can't wait for your next post....Doug
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

FYI -  Krylon Industrial U.S.A., produces an off the shelf paint called "Krylon ColorMaster", which is produced in many colors, one of which is a close match to the Western / Northern color code "green-51".    While it's not what I'd call "bang on", it is a close match.    The Krylon color is called "Hosta Leaf - Product code 453541".     
Krylon is sold by a number of retailers, both is Canada and the U.S.A. ...  i.e., Ace Hardware, Sears, Walmart, Sherwin-Williams, Canadian Tire to name a few.
Krylon web page link :  http://bit.ly/1E8LcT8
I painted a 211 several years ago with Krylon "Hosta Leaf" green, and a picture of it is attached.     The set has a Western Electric (Bell System) "G" series handset in "green-51" on it.     The actual color appears to be a closer match when viewed with the human eye, than it does in the digital photo.     It's not a big investment to try a can either, at around $4.49 USD at Ace Hardware, or $5.79 Canadian at Canadian Tire.
Enjoy the day.

Jeff Lamb

TelePlay

Quote from: Doug Rose on July 22, 2015, 05:40:56 AM
Andre...I have seen the light, I highly respect your opinion as well. I agree...you should paint the phone black to match the finger wheel. I can't wait for your next post....Doug

Doug,

That would work but doesn't it then just become another dime a dozen black 500?

unbeldi

Well, I think I can trade you the shell of this black painted green 500 set.
I used the almost pristine 1955 base for another project that needed it, and I still have the shell left over somewhere.

If you want color... with a match to black, this will do.

On the other hand... you can turn yours into a parts phone as well by waiting long enough.

Doug Rose

Quote from: TelePlay on July 22, 2015, 08:10:07 PM
Quote from: Doug Rose on July 22, 2015, 05:40:56 AM

Doug,

That would work but doesn't it then just become another dime a dozen black 500?

Yes it does...tongue was planted firmly in cheek. This was a most bizarre string.
Kidphone

andre_janew

I never said the phone should be painted black.  What I meant was that the fingerwheel should be painted to match the phone instead of making it another run of the mill color phone with a clear fingerwheel.  A green phone with a metal fingerwheel painted green would be different from  all the other green phones with the clear plastic fingerwheel.  That was what I had in mind!

Doug Rose

When I first joined the Forum in 2009, I was an established collector. I did not collect 500 sets. I still don't.  I do
dabble in eBay, I know that surprises all of you.

I thought all 500 sets were all created equal.  I was WRONG!

500 sets were not created equal......this was proven to me by many members on the Forum. I was educated.  I asked questions
and listened to the answers I was given.

The the early color soft plastic sets from the mid 50's were very desirable. I was told that grey cords on a early color set
was very desirable. I thought they were a mistake an after market add whenever I saw them. That was my opinion!  I passed
them by. My opinion was incorrect!  It cost me $$ for my lack of knowledge.

All early sets had a clear,  plastic,  opened face finger wheel.

I listened to other peoples opinions. Opinions that turned out to be fact.

Since then I have seen early 500 sets go for more than there 302 counter parts on eBay.

Moral of my story is:

You have to listen to learn......or you can just repeat your mistakes.

I will now step down from my soapbox.....Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Quote from: Doug Rose on July 24, 2015, 06:49:22 PM
Moral of my story is:

You have to listen to learn......or you can just repeat your mistakes.

I will now step down from my soapbox.....Doug

Well said, Doug, and worthy of the CRPF Traveling Soap Box Trophy . . . . 

Doug Rose

thanks John....I am humbled by this award!!...Doug
Kidphone