News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Question: Will it sell? (poll)

Started by TelePlay, December 16, 2015, 07:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This stick will sell, but, for how much?

$49.99
1 (7.1%)
$50 - $74.99
6 (42.9%)
$75 - $99.99
5 (35.7%)
$100 or more
2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: December 22, 2015, 07:39:38 PM

TelePlay

This is a stick with issue just listed in a 7 day auction starting at $50 plus $25 for shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-1913-Antique-AT-T-ROTARY-DIAL-CANDLESTICK-PHONE-for-PARTS-RESTORATION-/371510302355

Will it sell?

This is a buyer beware pig in a poke. Are the parts worth $75 or more, and if so, please say why. Seller doesn't say much about it.

Buzby

I'm sure it will sell. "original" and "antique" are magical words on ebay. The only thing this has going for it is that it's old and shiny.

I'd guess that the seller is young and doesn't realise that phones don't use electrical flex and a two prong plug, or has questioned the strange bit of metal emerging from it.

wds

I will say yes.  There are some good parts there.  Mouthpiece - if star in the middle - $20.  Dial and receiver $50-60.  The rest is bonus! 
Dave

NorthernElectric

I think it will sell because of the low start price, no other reason.

I could be totally wrong, but I think it's mostly repro.  I brightened up the transmitter cup and didn't see a star.  The base has the wide space between the 1s in 11.  The hook is wrong, the receiver shell a 706A and doesn't the brass around the dial make it a deco-tel #6?  Plus it's been a lamp.

Or do I need to go back to candlestick school?   ;D
Cliff

rdelius

I dont see reproduction parts,base ok restamped perch.non dial bottom cover and wall hook.Suspect it was a 152 AB? set with a headband rec and hook that somebody tried to convert back. Lots of good parts.Some late 1940s #5 dials had brass frames under the black paint

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

TelePlay

Quote from: Fabius on December 16, 2015, 11:26:06 PM
Spotting the fakes. Thanks to MR. R. Wiltfang of Kansas:

http://www.oldphoneman.com/Fakes.htm

Thanks, Tom. Another good link.

When I started the topic, one of the issues I noticed was on the base on its back. That sub used to hold them stem in place is missing, if that means anything new.

Buzby

Well, it looks like it will sell. There's a bid on it already.

Doug Rose

Nice looking brass 5H on it. I have cleaned brass that looked far worse to a great shine. It looks like a lamp adapter so it was no drilled. Good parts, I'd take for $50 if I saw it sitting on a table....Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

It is not the nicest candlestick but it has potential.  I think it'll fetch $100-125
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

TelePlay

Okay, it has a bid so it will sell and an interesting discussion of the stick to date.

So, ended that poll and started a new one - what will the phone fetch for the seller when the auction ends. Not a contest, just a poll.

The prior poll ended with 11 to 0 votes saying it will sell.

andre_janew

Right now it appears to be stuck at $49.99, but I'm hoping for a snipe to bring it closer to $74.99.

TelePlay

Well, it's up to $52 with 2 bids now and 2 days to go.

TelePlay

With just over 8 hours to go, 3 bidders placing 11 bids have driven the price up to $67. Can't wait for snipe time to see if it breaks $100 . . .

TelePlay

43% of those casting a vote in the poll were right. The phone sold for $71 so 6 guessed the correct range. As usual, a buyer placing their first and only bid 5 seconds before the auction ended took the phone home.