News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Left Hand" 500s.....

Started by RotarDad, March 29, 2014, 05:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotarDad

There's a couple of these on Ebay now with the "extremely rare" left hand fingerwheel.... Both have lots of bids, so I thought it was ok pointing them out.... ;)
Paul

WesternElectricBen

Hehe,

When I got my 500 P/U the fingerwhele was also installed incorrectly.

Ben

RotarDad

Ben - For the awesome deal you got, I'm sure you didn't mind correcting that little issue!  I do enjoy working on the dials as my favorite part of a resto.  I prefer the dials that won't return and need a complete clean/lube.  Fun to also polish the plastic fingerwheels to restore their sparkle.
Paul

twocvbloke

That's a feature to stop people dialling certain numbers, mostly ones with 5 and 6 in them... ;D

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: RotarDad on March 29, 2014, 06:26:29 PM
Ben - For the awesome deal you got, I'm sure you didn't mind correcting that little issue!  I do enjoy working on the dials as my favorite part of a resto.  I prefer the dials that won't return and need a complete clean/lube.  Fun to also polish the plastic fingerwheels to restore their sparkle.

Oh, yeah, not a bit~!

I also like working on dials, it's pretty fun, if your good at it. I'm having a heck of a time getting this 410 adjusted, as I don't have a screwdriver that would fit into the small governor screw. :(

Ben

Kenton K

I love doing dials because they are the most mechanical part that is easy to completely overhaul, (unlike ringers). My only irk is on old #2,4, and 5's in which you have to 'break' the paint seal on the screws.

KK

WesternElectricBen

Kenton, I agree with you, breaking those ancient grommets is no fun.. That is why I prefer to work on the 7 series dials, after the seals and before the non-repairable springs.

Ben

Dennis Markham

It may be difficult to get the finger wheel on the Blue phone off in order to put it on correctly.  The little pin-hole is going to be out of position.

WesternElectricBen

I don't know, actually, Dennis, my 500 P/U was completely flipped, meaning the place you put tension on, was right under the hole, like it would be regularly.

Ben

Dennis Markham

Ok. I figured if the pin hole were 180 degrees moved, it wouldn't align with the little tab that is pushed down to remove the wheel.

TelePlay

Quote from: Dennis Markham on March 29, 2014, 10:58:55 PM
Ok. I figured if the pin hole were 180 degrees moved, it wouldn't align with the little tab that is pushed down to remove the wheel.

This better?  ::)

twocvbloke

You spelled "photoshopped" wrong... ;D

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on March 30, 2014, 05:36:19 AM
You spelled "photoshopped" wrong... ;D

Good eye twocv. A little early morning humour to see if anyone would realise I was using the Common Core aproved spelling.