News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

URLs (was More crazy eBay Subset prices!!!)

Started by Sargeguy, November 11, 2010, 05:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Yes, everything after the ebaY item number is not required so when doing a cut & paste on an ebaY URL, snip everything after the item number and the URL will be short enough to not cause any problems.

Terry

Adam

I have good news about the running off the right side of the page thing!

On a hunch (because FF in Windows did it and my FF in the Mac didn't) I have just now upgraded my windows FF from 2.0.0.14 to the latest version of 3.6.12.

The problem does not occur on this forum with this latest version of Firefox!

So, anybody who's hacked off by this nasty behavior, just upgrade to the latest version of Firefox.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Dennis Markham

Correction, I'm using Firefox 3.6.12 which is what you have Dave, so it must be the latest. 

Adam

I'm cornfuseled, Dennis.  Are you saying you're seeing the bad behavior with Firefox 3.6.12?  Because I'm definitely not.  Whereas I was seeing it with an earlier version.

Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

Dennis Markham

I'm not really sure which version I had when I last experienced the problem.  It was a couple of weeks ago.  I may have updated since then since I get automatic updates for Firefox.  We'll just have to wait and see if it happens again.

Adam

This is the url I used for testing.  This page causes the unwanted behavior in the trouble browsers.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3763.0
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

Dennis Markham

bingster

For me, that last one works fine in firefox, but not in safari (on a mac).
= DARRIN =

FrankC

Quote from: Dennis Markham on November 12, 2010, 08:02:55 AM
Frank, he used "Tinyurl" to create the link.  It shortens those lengthy url's.

http://tinyurl.com/

Thanks Dennis, I tried "Tinyurl" it works great. I used to copy the item number and send it to the recipient, but then they had to first go to ebay etc. Thanks for the tip. Frank.
Frank Conley

Adam

[Edit: a post with a long url was deleted above.  it was breaking the page.]

Quote from: ae_collector on November 13, 2010, 11:00:38 AM
looks like all is well

'Ceptin you just messed up this thread for people who don't use IE or the latest Firefox.
>:(  ;D
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

AE_Collector

Quote from: masstel on November 13, 2010, 11:25:18 AM
Quote from: ae_collector on November 13, 2010, 11:00:38 AM
looks like all is well

'Ceptin you just messed up this thread for people who don't use IE or the latest Firefox.
>:(  ;D

Did my post screw it up again???!! Or are you just messing with me?

Are yhou sure it was okay for other than IE & FF until now? I thought if anything would have trouble it would be Internet Explorer? Let me know, I'll delete my previous post.

Terry

Adam

Yes, I'm not sure exactly where the confusion is.  This thread previously had no long, unbreakable text, and so was OK in all the browsers.  After you added the long url, this thread now exhibits the "page goes off to the right margin" problem in Safari on the Mac, and probably other browsers as well.
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

AE_Collector

At some point in the past there was a problem (before I posted) as this thread was identified as one causing this problem. So i'm not sure what's going on either.

EDIT:
Oh crap, just realized that I wasn't posting the link into the original "trouble thread" but into this one. Just deleted it...can you check if all is okay with this thread and the other programs?

For anyone unable to follow what is going on, I just deleted a post that I made between the current post #23 & 24 where I copied the long link from the other thread mentioned into this thread to see if it caused the W-I-D-E problem here too. And it did with certain programs so I have deleted it again.

Terry

Adam

This problem is complicated by the fact that different browsers wrap text differently.

This problem does not occur on the latest version of Firefox because it breaks the long URL into two (or three) lines successfully making none of those lines longer than the page width.  Safari, for example, TRIES to break the line, but fails to do so in a way that leaves text that is shorter than the page width.

Every browser has different rules, apparently, for how it tries to break up this long text, and every long URL is different and so will break differently depending on these differing rules.  So, a URL that messes up the page for Safari will probably also mess it up for the older Firefox, but maybe not.

Only MSIE and the newest Firefox seem to consistently be able to break the text without exceeding the page width limit.

This is all not to mention the fact that different users will see the problem to different degrees, depending on their current screen width.

The moral of the story, boys and girls, is just say no to long urls in posts on this forum!  :)
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

Dennis Markham

That's why if everyone would just re-size the long URL's before publishing, life will be good.