News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another strrange dial. Long pulse followed by normal pulses.

Started by dsk, April 22, 2012, 02:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

I have an old phone from about late 1930ies. and It wont dial properly.
The first break when dialing 0 is nearly 2.5 times the other breaks.
The make break ratio for the rest 9 pulses are about 47:53 at a dial speed at 9.84 pps

Anyone knowing about such dial?

Here you may see the dial speed scan:

dsk

JorgeAmely

Looks like a SATT dial, when compared to the attached picture. Is the dial made by AE?

Jorge

wds

That pulse gear looks very similar to my BTMC dial that I picked up a while back.  I talked to Steve Hilz about it, and he told me that it could not be used on today's phone systems - unless you want to modify the notches on the pulse gear.   I'm guessing that dial came off a European phone.  
Dave

LarryInMichigan

The dial bears some resemblance to the FTR dials I have, which would not be a surprise if this one is a BTMC.

Larry

dsk

Yes it is made in Norway. The dial has no marking, but I believe it is made by Standard Telefon og Kabelfabrikk (=STC) Later ITT.
I have just changed the cam, took a cam from an Elektrisk Bureau approx 1970 dial. (no modifications needed) tuned the pulse spring and got a pulse ratio at 9.7 and make brake ratio of 63:37.  

dsk

dsk

Quote from: wds on April 22, 2012, 03:39:41 PM
That pulse gear looks very similar to my BTMC dial that I picked up a while back.  I talked to Steve Hilz about it, and he told me that it could not be used on today's phone systems - unless you want to modify the notches on the pulse gear.   I'm guessing that dial came off a European phone.  

Looks like mine at least the cam.

dsk

AE_Collector

d_s_k, did you say the first pulse of each digit dialled is longer than the rest or is it the last pulse? I have heard something about a system where the last pulse of each digit was longer no matter what digit was dialled. The switching system used this somewhat in place of the inter-digital pause so that it new where one dialled digit ended and the next began. Tha tis all I can remember though!

Terry

dsk

Quote from: AE_collector on April 22, 2012, 04:11:35 PM
d_s_k, did you say the first pulse of each digit dialled is longer than the rest or is it the last pulse? I have heard something about a system where the last pulse of each digit was longer no matter what digit was dialled. The switching system used this somewhat in place of the inter-digital pause so that it new where one dialled digit ended and the next began. Tha tis all I can remember though!

Terry

I was quite sure this was exactly that! Its even possible I have stated that in an earlier posting  8)
This logging and measuring killed that idea.

Strange to see how easy the modernizing was.

dsk