News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Today's eBay Absurdity - What Are They Thinking!

Started by McHeath, September 29, 2009, 01:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

Check out this rare beauty:

http://tinyurl.com/y8h893z  ( dead link 02-19-21 )

And note that it came from the estate of a retired telephone man, so you know it's good!

The darn thing is not even a year old yet!!

Greg G.

I bet I have something in my fridge that's older.  That's probably what's making that funny noise in the middle of the night, kinda like Sigourney Weaver's fridge in "Ghostbusters".  What's that got to do with phones?  I have no idea, I shouldn't post after work when I'm tired and loopy...
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

Brinybay, I almost sprayed coffee all over the keyboard on that one! :)

bwanna

remind me never to go to dinner at briny's house. ;)

ebay is ruining "live" flea markets. vendors all think they have a rare piece, cuz they saw one "just like it" on ebay sell for a million trillion dollars. and the buyers have all seen something "just like it" only better, sell for cheap. >:(
donna

Phonesrfun

When it comes to telephone auctions on e-bay, I think one of the most frequent lies and over used phrases is "from the estate of a retired telephone man"  Yeah right.  Right up there with Art Deco, whoever he was...

-Bill G

Dan/Panther

I guess, if it doesn't fit in your hip pocket it's old...
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Greg G.

Quote from: bwanna on September 29, 2009, 08:54:45 AM
remind me never to go to dinner at briny's house. ;)
Not to worry, I don't cook, we'd go to a nearby restaurant.

Quote from: bwanna on September 29, 2009, 08:54:45 AM
ebay is ruining "live" flea markets. vendors all think they have a rare piece, cuz they saw one "just like it" on ebay sell for a million trillion dollars. and the buyers have all seen something "just like it" only better, sell for cheap. >:(

Now that you mention it, that's probably why "thrift" stores are filled with overpriced garbage now.  Ebay and CL have had an impact. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

JorgeAmely

Bill:

Did you mean to say "fresh from the estate of a retired telephone man"?
Jorge

Phonesrfun

Quote from: JorgeAmely on September 29, 2009, 05:35:22 PM
Bill:

Did you mean to say "fresh from the estate of a retired telephone man"?

Seems like an oxymoron to have the words "fresh" and "estate of...." in the same sentence, but I know what you are saying.  That seems like the line so many e-bay sellers use.

-Bill G

Greg G.

Can we turn this into a general absurdity thread, ebay or otherwise?

I'm going to use the auction guess format for this, if that's ok.  Guess the price on this late 70s repro at an antique store.  I remember I had a repro candlestick back then, when they were saying you could only keep the shell.  I'm heading out of town for a couple of days, I'll let this run until I get back:

- Mike Row
e

bingster

I've seen some pretty insane prices for newer phones in antique stores.  I saw a black modular 500 from the late 1970s a while back at an antique shop that wanted $100 for it.  Since this one's clearly much fancier, I'm guessing they want $150 for it.
= DARRIN =

bwanna

donna

Greg G.

I'm back.  Only two guesses?  Bingster got it.  A whopping $158.00.  This particular antique store is usually somewhat reasonable (for an antique store). High quality stuff (except for the phones).  Same place that has that Jade dishware collection.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

I'm always amazed at how completely out of touch many antique dealers are.  They, of all people, should know better.  Given the modular cords and the gold coloring being worn off the handset, that's a ten dollar phone.  If that.
= DARRIN =

McHeath

158?! 

Ouch.

I'll bet there is a thick layer of dust on it, not gonna move at that price.  I suppose it will be worth that kind of money early in the 23rd century.