News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell Truck

Started by ....., May 26, 2015, 03:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Something PEI Dave might enjoy.

[u rl=h ttp://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/oshawa-durham-region/telephone-truck/1038615500?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true]h ttp://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/oshawa-durham-region/telephone-truck/1038615500?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
[/u rl]

classic-cars/oshawa-durham-region/telephone-truck

Sorry about the long link, it's not eBay. I'm at work so I can't save or post pictures from this computer.

-------------------------------

EDIT:  How to shorten that link and a screen shot added

[u rl=h ttp://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/oshawa-durham-region/telephone-truck/1038615500]classic-cars/oshawa-durham-region/telephone-truck[/u rl]

EDIT: At home now, added pictures from web page.

19and41

That is really a nice setup for that much money.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

HarrySmith

Very nice truck! Wish it was in my driveway!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

Interesting.  It's almost tempting, but when I click on the "View map" link, it shows me the location in Lake Simcoe, so I would expect the truck to be a bit wet.

Larry

TelePlay

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on May 27, 2015, 09:13:08 PM
Interesting.  It's almost tempting, but when I click on the "View map" link, it shows me the location in Lake Simcoe, so I would expect the truck to be a bit wet.

That's funny - the big truck wash!

I had to zoom out about 6 times to see where in Ontario the truck is located. Just up 7 north from the 407 (the first 16 lane highway I ever drove on). As seen in the attached, the more you zoom out, the drier the truck gets. Seems Google maps has a software glitch . . .  ;)

NorthernElectric

It's in the Brechin area, very close to Lake Simcoe but not quite in it.  Brechin is on highway 12  a ways north of highway 7.  Google maps does have some issues with precise locations but in this case the fault might be with kijiji.  The good news is this ad includes the postal code (L0K 1B0) which you can search and google maps will show the boundaries of that postal code, like so (highlighted in red).  I zoomed this out so I could show highway 7 (number doesn't show but runs through Lindsay->Oakwood->Manilla then turns southward through Sunderland->Blackwater...) and lost the Brechin label which is at highway 12 and county road 47 at the easter edge of the postal code area.  I'm a little over an hour from Brechin and have checked most of the shops down that way for phones.   :)

Cliff

NorthernElectric

Quote from: Autonut on May 26, 2015, 03:53:47 AMEDIT:  How to shorten that link and a screen shot added

[u rl=h ttp://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/oshawa-durham-region/telephone-truck/1038615500]classic-cars/oshawa-durham-region/telephone-truck[/u rl]

To expand on this a bit, a step-by step.

1. delete the closing square bracket at the end of the opening url tag and insert an equal sign in it's place
2. put that closing square bracket back in immediately before the opening square bracket of the /url tag
3. put some text in between; can be typed in or copied and pasted from the source document

This method does not result in 3rd party sites like tinyurl collecting statistics on our browsing habits if you care about that sort of thing.
Cliff

LarryInMichigan

I am glad to hear that the buyer will not have to fish it out of the lake. 

Larry

19and41

That truck is just as old as I am.  I reckon it is in better shape though.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Quote from: NorthernElectric on May 27, 2015, 10:37:22 PM
Quote from: Autonut on May 26, 2015, 03:53:47 AMEDIT:  How to shorten that link and a screen shot added

1. delete the closing square bracket at the end of the opening url tag and insert an equal sign in it's place
2. put that closing square bracket back in immediately before the opening square bracket of the /url tag
3. put some text in between; can be typed in or copied and pasted from the source document

This method does not result in 3rd party sites like tinyurl collecting statistics on our browsing habits if you care about that sort of thing.

This is good information. The picture helps explain it a little better. Thanks.

TelePlay

Quote from: NorthernElectric on May 27, 2015, 10:37:22 PM

Yes, very nicely explained visually.

Fastest way I've found to do this is to start with clicking on the "Insert Hyperlink" icon, second from the left just above the smiley faces, to get
    [u rl][/u rl]

(Note: spaces added to deactivate the code)

Put an = between the "l" and the "]" end bracket in the first url to get
    [u rl=][/u rl]

Then paste the link, and in this case the length of the link does not matter to the SMF software, right after the "=" to get
    [u rl=http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14417.msg150246#msg150246][/u rl]

And finally type whatever descriptive text you want to use to describe the link between the "][" brackets before the last url to get
     [u rl=http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14417.msg150246#msg150246]Visual Link Graphic[/u rl]

Without the spaces in the url code it looks like this,
     Visual Link Graphic

So, the link used in the first post above could have been used like this,

[u rl=http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/oshawa-durham-region/telephone-truck/1038615500?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true]Bell Truck[/u rl]

Without the spaces in the url code it looks like this,
     Bell Truck

NorthernElectric

You can also wrap your examples in code tags to display them verbatim without introducing extra spaces.

[url=http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14417.msg150246#msg150246]Visual Link Graphic[/url]
Cliff

TelePlay

Quote from: NorthernElectric on May 28, 2015, 08:13:02 AM
You can also wrap your examples in code tags to display them verbatim without introducing extra spaces.

Thanks, didn't know that.

And that would be the "#" icon which I've never used before, but will now.