News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

5302 G phones

Started by benkeys, July 11, 2012, 10:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benkeys

I was browsing phones on ebay and came across a 5302 G with a F1 handset.  From what i understand it was an attempt for people that had 302's to get them retrofitted to look like the 500's. Is that accurate? I'm also curious as to how often they show up for sale and how common they are.
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

LarryInMichigan

5302s appear with both F1 and G (or GF) handsets.  They are not particularly uncommon.  With patience, you can find a black one for under $25.  If you want any other color, that is another story.

Larry

jsowers

Ben, the 5302 wasn't exactly a retrofit on the customer's premises. WE took parts from reclaimed 302s and turned them into 5302s and then the Bell System installed them where demand for the 500 set was high but supply was low. Or something to that effect. It was recycling on a major level.

I've also read on this Forum there were phone companies that were considered second and third string and they got the refurbished and recycled sets to use when the first string companies got new sets. The Indianapolis WE plant at one time was having trouble keeping up with the demand for 500 sets during the mid-50s and the 5302 was one solution to that problem.
Jonathan

Russ Kirk

This backs up what Johnathan posted about the backlog of 500 sets. 

I recently picked up a 1955 installers service kit for Northern California.  In the back were two added inserts from 7-14-55 and 7-30-55.  Looks like there was a one to five week delay to get some sets.

Russ.....
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

paul-f

The 5300-series was part of an organized effort in the Bell System to maximize return on investment by keeping previously manufactured components in the field generating revenue as long as possible.

In addition to the Western Electric refurb and distribution houses, parts and instructions were made available to non-Bell refurbishers, so they could also convert 300-series sets to 5300-series sets.

There's more info here:
  http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm#5300

Russ:

Your 1955 guide looks like a great scanning project for the Library!   ;) ;)

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

jsowers

Russ, that's a great tidbit of information there on those sheets you posted. It also tells to the month what was available when, and there's very little info on 554s and when certain colors were available in the early years. So thanks for posting that. It tells us that dark beige, black, green, ivory and red 554s were made in July, 1955.

What does it say under Continental? I'm dying to know what colors it lists there.

I don't remember where--probably in a WE magazine or Annual Report--that I read about the plant having trouble keeping up with demand, but I also recall they ended up having to add onto the plant to increase production, sometime about 1956.
Jonathan

Russ Kirk

Here are the rest of the photos.  

I am working with another TCI member to get this service kit scanned for the library.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

benkeys

I appreciate all the info on these sets. I think if i can get one at the right price i will. Are they any more difficult to work on the a normal 500? And are there wiring diagrams available to set them up for non party line use like the 500's?  this is one of the ones i'm looking at, although its not known if its in working condition, however i'm willing to take a chance on it as long as parts are not scarce and expensive if it were to need any.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/300739256310?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_9139wt_884
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

poplar1

Since this is marked 5302G, it more than likely has the same parts as a 302 and not the tube found in 306 sets (4-party selective) or the 4-conductor ringer found in 304 sets (2 party with Tip Party Identification). So the only party-line possibility would be that one side of the ringer may be connected to the yellow line cord wire, in which case you would move that one ringer wire (from GND to L1) or connect the yellow wire and one line wire together at the wall.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

paul-f

Wiring info is available in the TCI Library - www.telephonecollectors.info/

Simply enter 5302 in the search box and click on "FIND"

It takes you here:  http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?searchword=5302&ordering=&searchphrase=all&Itemid=1&option=com_search

Since the sets are electrically 300-series sets, you can use wiring diagrams for the corresponding 300 set, such as these:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=18.0

More info to compare models in the 300 and 5300 series is here: 
   http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm
   http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm#5300

Dan

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 11, 2012, 11:05:05 PM
5302s appear with both F1 and G (or GF) handsets.  They are not particularly uncommon.  With patience, you can find a black one for under $25.  If you want any other color, that is another story.

Larry

Here's a pink 5302 I was lucky to get. Dennis ( I believe) has a picture of all three colors (I have since cleaned her up, this was as she came )

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

benkeys

Nice pink 5302. I bet that wasnt an easy or cheap find. That actually looks just like a 500 until you opened it up.

paul-f

Quote from: Dan on July 15, 2012, 04:18:19 PM
Dennis ( I believe) has a picture of all three colors

So far, I've heard about black, pink, aqua, biege, white, red, green and clear.