News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Fedex Shipping

Started by Babybearjs, January 07, 2015, 12:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I thought I'd throw this out to you all..... when shipping Ebay sales, DON'T use FedEx! I noticed that fedex is NO CHEAPER then the post office and gives the package to the post office anyway. on all my purchases that I've gotten through Ebay that the seller sends the item through FedEx, but the Post Office delivers the package.... so, what good is using them if the Post Office is going to deliver it anyway??? just send the item flat rate through the post office.... it just easier that way....
John

Kenton K

Yes, although fedex is sometimes cheaper for large and heavy packages.

-Ken

wds

For any package over 10 lbs., I always use Fed Ex - it's usually about half the price of USPS.  Maybe it's my location, but I'm pretty happy with Fed Ex.
Dave

Babybearjs

I've always used the flat rate boxes from the post office. I talked to my postman yesterday and he said they can really be a problem, especially during the holidays. On the package I'm suppose to get today the tracking info says "Package may be delayed a day or two" and its at the post office... then if they took the time to give it to the post office, then why didn't they just deliver it?? goofy if you ask me....
John

wds

I've actually never heard of the USPS delivering Fed Ex mail.  Maybe it varies by location - some Fed Ex locations must not be staffed adequately to deliver it's mail in some locations so they have to use USPS.  I have also found that I get much better postage rates from USPS priority mail by NOT using the flat rate boxes.  It's almost always cheaper to use the standard priority mail pricing than the flat rate box pricing.  I put an 8 lb box in the mail today from Ohio to Michigan, priority mail for less than $6, using a 12 x 12 x 10 box.  Over 10 lbs seems to be the breaking point for Fed Ex to be a better deal than USPS for me. 
Dave

Russ Kirk

In some cases FedEx does use USPS for low weight packages/envelopes.
They call it smart-post.

http://www.fedex.com/us/smart-post/outbound.html

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

WEBellSystemChristian

My dad ordered something online that was shipped to him via FedEx from California. It was expected to arrive at the Waukesha Fedex building about a week and half later. The day that it was expected to arrive, the tracking said that it was ready for pickup. When he went to pick it up that night, the guy behind the counter said that the package was still in Los Angeles!

I personally find FedEx to be unreliable and not very apologetic if they do something irresponsible. I prefer USPS for phones and UPS for larger stuff.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

wds

Ok, smart post.  I've never used that service.  Does't sound too smart.
Dave

Dan/Panther

I've ordered paints etc, and had to pay special handling and hazardous material fees, as much as $20.00 on one order. BECAUSE the Post Office will not allow that kind of stuff to be shipped. IT's against FEDERAL law.
Well guess what. twice the Post Office delivered those packages. I turned them in both times to the Post Master at my local Office. I paid like $40.00 for shipping, Then they took it to the Post Office and sent it Priority for $12.95.
Postmaster took the info, said it was illegal. Nothing done about it.
I can't complain to the company selling the stuff, then they might refuse to sell to me. They sell specialized products, Re-Ranch guitar refinish supplies. So No other source.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

twocvbloke

My friend across the pond likens FedEx over there to the former courier Citylink here (who recently went bust cos they were paying out more in compensation for lost, damaged and stolen items than they were making back from shipping charges), rarely used FedEx here myself cos they cost too much... :)

19and41

I live about 10 miles south of Atlanta and my phone was sent here by the fedex/post office hand off.  I tracked the package to the their facility here that handed it off to the USPS facility 5 miles from here.  They then promptly sent it to a city 80 miles away.  It didn't make the sort at that post office and they sent it back up here and delivered it 1 day later but 1 day less than their ETA.  This is the second time this has happened out of the two times I have had items shipped here using that method.  (not by my choice.)
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

wds

It sounds like the problems associated with Smart Post is actually USPS, not Fed Ex.  I can say without a doubt that I've have many problems with deliveries via USPS, and none with Fed Ex.   I still send most of my packages through USPS because of convenience, but they sure do need to improve on their deliveries. 
Dave

Phonesrfun

I have wondered why several things I have ordered from Amazon and other places send them this way.  The only thing I could come up with was that perhaps Fed Ex does not have as well of a developed network for end-pint delivery (the last mile concept) as the post office does for small packages.  For sure, the post office has a very well developed system of distribution, whereas Fed-Ex has no established daily routes.  For Fed Ex, every delivery starts with a distribution center and every day's deliveries has to be mapped out.  The post office carriers just drive their normal routes. 

I live in a small town, and there is not even a Fed Ex office here.  There is a post office.  It probably makes more sense for Fed Ex to contract with the PO for that end-point delivery.

All this is my conjecture.
-Bill G

Babybearjs

I mentioned this to a neighbor who sells on ebay and he told me it was the "smartpost" and it was cheaper that way.... well the phone I ordered came today and was totally overpacked... so that's the reason for the FedEx shipping.... weird, you would think that people would just use either USPS or UPS.... but fedex is out there too..... and I thought they only handled overnight packages and stuff like that....
John

Phonesrfun

Fed Ex used to be primarily an overnight service, but that changed several years ago as they have been trying to compete more with UPS.  FedEx has a ground shipping division in addition to their overnight service.
-Bill G