News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Please verify AE34A3B? Update:AE34A3A

Started by cloyd, August 16, 2015, 05:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloyd

My sister sent me a text that said she saw an "old heavy phone painted green at a store downtown."  As a teacher, I have been trying to train my siblings to recognize a valuable old phone and this is what I get!  She couldn't even remember if it was a "push button" reproduction phone or not.  What is the world coming to?

Long story short, this is what I found.  I think it is an AE34a3b with the cut-out carry handle.  Please let me know.  Also, what is the best way to approach paint removal?  Thank you for your help.

Dial markings:  60-C and 43(?)
Cord numbers: RUNZEL 3D09-RJ, CD-3500053
Base markings: L253AO and 90A.
Induction Coil:  D282781
Ringer:            D-56435-A

-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

wds

Very nice find.  Those are very rare with the carry handle.  Paint stripper will take the paint off with no problem.  However, be careful with that small piece under the carry handle - it might b plastic and paint stripper will melt it.  How much were they asking?
Dave

cloyd

This was at a Hospice of Central Iowa second hand store.  Mostly, they sold high-end clothes and decor.  The phone cost me $39.
Tina Loyd
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

wds

Wow!  That is definitely a find of the month.
Dave

cloyd

Well all right then!  I will submit my find!
Thank you,
Tina

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: wds on August 16, 2015, 06:34:37 PM
Wow!  That is definitely a find of the month.

That's for sure!

Oven cleaner will probably also remove the paint.  Be extra careful in the vent areas because they are known to break.  This could easily be a $150+ phone.

Larry

wds

Put a type 38 handset on it and I think you will be way north of $200.
Dave

Doug Rose

Nice Find Tina...I'd say its a keeper. I have never had one in my hands with the carrying notch. Citrus stripper will make this  a show piece. Be careful with the notched out area, as stated earlier by Larry, it could be plastic. Really, REALLY nice Find!!!....Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

It might be a good idea to use EasyOff oven cleaner to remove the paint; I have never used citrus stripper before, but I'm sure Doug knows what he's talking about! ;)

Great phone for a great price! Easily worth upwards of $300!! :o
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

LarryInMichigan

BTW, as ugly as the green paint is, it has likely helped to preserve the finish of the bakelite during the years since it was applied.  Please keep us posted with the results!

Larry

unbeldi

Does the induction coil have a D-number on it?

cloyd

The number on the induction coil (if that is the pair of long black parts) is D-56435-A.  I hope that is a good thing!
Tina

cloyd

The small piece under the handle is metal.  I thought that was interesting considering the rest of the phone is thick. bakelite.  I noticed that the part was scratched and the scratch was shiny.  (I am not the guilty party.)
Tina

unbeldi

Quote from: cloyd on August 17, 2015, 06:28:45 PM
The number on the induction coil (if that is the pair of long black parts) is D-56435-A.  I hope that is a good thing!
Tina
That's the ringer part number.
The induction coil is above the ringer in the picture, the black round coil with the black blocks on both sides that have solder pins sticking up.

cloyd

The induction coil number is D282781.  I still hope that is a good thing.
Tina