News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bad Ebay Buyers (and Sellers)

Started by wds, October 19, 2014, 09:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andre_janew

I had a buyer place an order for a phone I had for sale.  He never paid for it.  I didn't ship it either.  I reported it to Ebay and I ended up re-listing the phone and ended up selling it to someone else.  I did contact him before reporting the incident, but I got no response.  I don't know what happened to him.

jfisher

I had an experience with a odd Ebay buyer.  He purchased a a phone from me that cost almost $250.00.  The sale went fine and he paid quickly and I shipped the phone out the next day. I believe it was 6 months later and I receive this package from the postman and I can't figure what it can be since I hadn't ordered anything lately. Sure enough it's the phone I sold in the original box I had packed it in.  I checked with the USPS and  found out it was sitting at the buyers local post office all this time and although they notified him several times it was never picked up. I contacted him explaining I had the phone back and what did he want to do. He said he wondered what happened to it and could I mail it back, I said sure and that I would need $15.00 to ship it back. Never heard from him again, I don't know what happened but he had my email and I even gave him my phone number but I guess the $15.00 was just too much.  I guess you could call him a bad Ebayer but he was good to me.

TelePlay

We might have to change the title to "Bad eBay Buyers and Sellers."

I got a good BIN price on a C4A ringer with high $9 USPS ground mail. Okay, $12 for a 50s C4A delivered is okay.

Bought it 3 days ago and was waiting for the seller to ship it. Yes, Sunday and Postal Holiday Monday so I was waiting until Tuesday evening to ask if it shipped.

Got a message from eBay about an hour ago saying the Seller cancelled the order. The eBay email said "We're sorry to let you know that mat4941 canceled your order and mentioned the reason as I'm out of stock or the item is damaged. The seller refunded $12.14 back to your original payment method, and you don't need to do anything else."

Nice, I don't have to do anything else, except find and buy another ringer and wait 4 extra days for delivery. The seller does not deal with phone parts so I sent a message to him asking what happened. He best get back to me with a good excuse or he will be getting his first negative feedback, ever.

The Seller's eBay handle is mat4941 ( 3043 ) and I do hope he get back to me a what happened to the ringer. If he was into selling phone parts, I'd say beware. Heck, I'll say it any because that no contact cancellation by the seller irritated me.

19and41

I always wonder why folks think it is better to not contact the other party with a simple mannerly communication.  If i were the seller, I would've at least written the buyer with what I would've wanted to know.  Luckily for me most have done that.  If they don't, I don't feedback.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

mariepr

Just left my first Neutral for a seller.  When the item didn't come as expected he didn't reply to my message asking for a tracking number.  Didn't reply to my phone message the following day.  He ultimately blasted my Neutral, stating not to buy from him anymore and that he was not "obligated" to provide a tracking number. 

He does himself a disservice.  With a tracking number, and the item doesn't arrive when expected, a buyer can see if it's stuck in some USPS or Fedex facility.  Then the buyer gets mad a USPS or Fedex instead of at the seller.

WEBellSystemChristian

I had a similar problem with an eBay seller.

Back in December, I tried buying a tailgate that had parts I needed for my truck. I texted the seller (he requested texting in the description instead of messaging through eBay) asking if there were any dents/scratches in the part I needed. He replied a couple days later, and was very polite and friendly, telling me that that part was nearly perfect as far as he could tell. The seller only had 4 feedback responses, all of them positive, and his account was pretty recently created. The tailgate was relatively cheap, so I decided to buy it.
After waiting patiently for a week after the listing ended, he sent me a text, asking me to confirm that I wanted it, and sent a dozen detailed pictures of it. I replied that it looked great, I was sure I wanted it. A day later, my payment was refunded in full. I texted him back, and heard nothing back.

I won't bother posting the seller's handle, mainly because I don't know exactly what happened, and it's more of a mysterious seller than a bad one. It was also an auction for a part that was unrelated to phones, so I doubt anyone here would really find it helpful.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Fabius

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on February 21, 2017, 06:21:14 PM
I texted the seller (he requested texting in the description instead of messaging through eBay)...

Always try to use eBay messaging as it documents the communication between buyer and seller.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

19and41

And that documentation is necessary for Paypals' participation.
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Quote from: TelePlay on February 20, 2017, 08:19:54 PM
The Seller's eBay handle is mat4941 ( 3043 ) and I do hope he gets back to me a what happened to the ringer. If he was into selling phone parts, I'd say beware. Heck, I'll say it any because that no contact cancellation by the seller irritated me.

Took me two messages to the seller so the second one must have convinced him I was serious for the truth. He replied with this about an hour ago:  "Hi sorry it was sold and relisted. the # was the Fix. sorry Mat" which is enough to read between the lines. A 30 day BIN item being sold for parts as stated in the auction title . . .

"VINTAGE Rotary Phone 4 Wire Ringer #8-64-R, For Parts,!!!"

. . . and doubled down in the description . . .

" Vintage  Rotary Phone 4 Wire Ringer, For Parts,!!! the ringer is out of  rotary desk phone, I do not know if it is working as is,  see photos."

. . . and I bought it about a half hour after being listed.

Okay, nice try, Mat. Not my first rodeo in the world of excuses. My best guess is he sold it to someone but not on eBay. It only shows up once in his "Sold's" (going back to 12/1/16) and that was when I bought it on the 17th of February. The damages excuse doesn't apply in that the seller said it is for parts and does not know if it is working, was sold as is. Relisted? Not on eBay. Sold? Not on eBay to someone other than me.

Well, at least he replied, finally, so won't leave feedback either way, even though I am tempted.

Fabius

Quote from: TelePlay on February 21, 2017, 09:08:26 PM

Well, at least he replied, finally, so won't leave feedback either way, even though I am tempted.

At least leave neutral feedback.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

wds

Here's another one you will want to block.  "elmont1968"   First i noticed he had placed 3 bids for different prices then withdrew all the bids.  I sent him an email and asked why all the cancellations - he said is 8 year old was playing on his computer.  I should have blocked him on the spot.  Before the close of the auction he asked about damage to the mouthpiece - I informed him the MP was chipped and please look at the pictures.  Picture of the chip below.  He ended up buying the candlestick, and now wants to return it because the MP has a chip in it.  duh.  Round trip postage to this guy will cost me almost $50.  Just trying to save someone here some heartache - block him now.
Dave

AE_Collector

Can you (reluctantly) send him a replacement MP for less total $ to yourself?

Terry

wds

I tried that but he just wants to return the phone,  I asked him if he would like to file a claim with USPS to cover damages from shipping - I always use priority mail. He said no, and the receiver was missing parts.  I know the phone was complete so it sounds like he is removing parts and sending back what he doesn't need.  Very dishonest buyer.
Dave

Greg G.

Quote from: wds on February 10, 2018, 09:41:28 AM
Here's another one you will want to block.  "elmont1968"   First i noticed he had placed 3 bids for different prices then withdrew all the bids.  I sent him an email and asked why all the cancellations - he said is 8 year old was playing on his computer.  I should have blocked him on the spot.  Before the close of the auction he asked about damage to the mouthpiece ...

Seems a bit suspicious that he would claim it was his kid playing on the computer, but he just HAPPENS to be a collector?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

19and41

An 8 year old can be a collector, but that does not endow them with the wisdom that more mature buyers exhibit.  I think the buyer is grasping for excuses for a refund.
— Arthur C. Clarke