News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 40, 47 & 50 Base Code Observations (2017!)

Started by RotoTech99, January 03, 2017, 12:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdelius

No  I am in North Carolina.Wish I had a scan my self

RotoTech99

Dear Rdelius:

I hear Jack is working on his handbook posting.

I know he said he had a "plate full" of stuff, so it might be awhile before he can get more out.

He did give me some "tasty tidbit pages" to start from, though.
My only "snag" is I'm using my Android phone (not a really good full feature one), to get and put them on my primary computer, which is offline presently.

I'm getting all I can though.

RotoTech99

Dear AE Collector:

I got the images you sent, but I'm having a little trouble reading them because of the distortion from the bent pages.

Is there a way you can take them out of the binder, and rescan/rephotograph the pages, please?

I got them saved to my phone, and can transfer them to my computer now.

I added a photo editor to assist me.

If you could take those sheets out, and resend them as flatter images, please, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

RotoTech99

Jim Stettler

Quote from: RotoTech99 on January 06, 2017, 01:14:10 PM
Hello, i did not see a Lincoln Tel. Handbook with AE40 and 34 data.
I used their search and didn't find it.

Thank you for the files, I'm not presently at a computer where I can get to the pictures you sent of the handbook; I will try getting those later.

Can you send pictures of the pages with the dial, ringer and feature codes, please?

I was pointing out that there was info in the LT&T handbook. If they are on line, the most likely place to find them would be  the TCI library.

Sorry for the confusion.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

RotoTech99

the only LT&T Handbook I found was for a Ericofon.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: RotoTech99 on January 06, 2017, 06:05:26 PM
the only LT&T Handbook I found was for a Ericofon.

That is 1 telephone "practice" in the section on "station apparatus" of the handbook. The LT&T book has dozens of telephone practices. I think the practices came from the manfactor and are branded LT&T

The small telephone "handbooks/Practices"  are comprised  of a cover , mounting posts, and loose-leaf sections. You can change out section easily as needed, This is true of all company "practices" bound in this manner.

LT&T had telephone  "practices" covering many different phones from a variety of makers. I think they also had WE stuff. The pages of the "practices" for all of the phones are all marked "LT&T".

JMO.
Jim S.

You may want to do a broad "AE"  search in the library. I would search the entire depository. You might find some leads that way.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

RotoTech99

I already did, and it didn't turn up much more than I noted already; the only other LT&T items were newsletters for them.

I also tried variations on that; not much turned up.

I would've expected to see more, but I know it's a work in progress with more coming, so I'll keep watching

Jack Ryan

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 06, 2017, 11:35:12 AM
A comment about the Manitoba Telephone System pictures posted above by Jack Ryan, The 40 looks to be equipped with a GPO dial which was very common with the provincially owned Telco's in that time frame but is it just me or does it appear to be mounted on the surface of the 40 rather than recessed in flush like normal? Maybe the dial was slightly larger diameter so it wouldn't fit into the recess and a spacer had to be used. I have never seen a dial mounted like that on a 40 before.

Clarification: The dial is a Siemens Brothers No 10 which was licensed to other manufacturers in the UK and elsewhere (but not in Canada). The GPO used that dial as did many others so it is not really a GPO dial any more than it is an MTS dial.

There were lots of No 10 dials used in Canada; they were originally introduced with British exchange equipment that was used by some independents. The No 10 mount is derived from the Mercedes dial and is not compatible with the normal North American mount. To use a No 10 dial on a North American telephone such as those from Northern Electric and Automatic Electric, an adaptor is required. The adaptor often causes the dial to mount abnormally high.

Attached is the same adaptor used to mount a No 10 dial on a Uniphone.

Regards
Jack

RotoTech99

Dear Jack:

I would've never guessed it was a Seimens dial.

When  you start posting your handbook scans, can you please have them laying flat  for readability, I was sent some handbook scans, but they were curved from being in a handbook, so some of it wasn't very readable.

I've asked the sender if they can resend them in a flatter profile, so hopefully that will help.

BTW:If the codes you sent me earlier were on one or two pages, can you send those while I wait to see the rest, I'm still curious about the dial codes A and D you commented "dunno" on.

RotoTech99

AE_Collector

They were simply pictures of 4 of the pages to give everyone an idea what the pocket books are like, not the final product that everyone will have to live with. When they are scanned they will be flat and complete including all of the pages rather than just a few pages.

Terry

RotoTech99

OK, that sounds good to me, I  can work with the sample pages for the time being.

I will enjoy seeing the finished results once they are ready.

RotoTech99

RotoTech99

Based on the info Jack Ryan provided, I wonder if the last 2 or 3 characters after the feature, dial, ringer, and handset cord codes could be the color codes he briefly mentioned in Reply 46 of this topic?

I think it would make sense; I had always thought of it as being part of the first 4 or 5 digits/characters, myself.

RotoTech99

unbeldi

Quote from: RotoTech99 on January 07, 2017, 01:06:41 PM
Based on the info Jack Ryan provided, I wonder if the last 2 or 3 characters after the feature, dial, ringer, and handset cord codes could be the color codes he briefly mentioned in Reply 46 of this topic?

I think it would make sense; I had always thought of it as being part of the first 4 or 5 digits/characters, myself.

RotoTech99

Guessing is no intelligent way to approach the decoding process.  You need to collect examples of codings and record observed features and analyze them for consistency without prejudice.
Without that it makes no more sense than guessing anything else.

The list that Jack provides for the first letter after the catalog number is even larger than given.
One has to examine whether AE over time even applied the same system for marking after the catalog number.

The philosophy for the catalog number is very similar to the way Western Electric labeled variations of the 300-series sets, namely by general service type for which the set was intended to be used.
For example the rough correspondence is this:

AE      WECo
4123    302     standard basic set for straight line or party line service
4107    304     party line service with party identification for message accounting/toll ticketing
4119    -         ditto, just a different AMA method for 4-party full selective service, WECo did not use spotter dials
4117    306     full-selective 4-party line service, or 8-party line semi-selective service with electron tube
           307     Local battery, and LBT-CBS service,  AE didn't seem to interested in selling telephones for this service,
                     as they also had automatic switching business, but they probably existed too.
4111    410    Multi-line service

I am not sure which of the two SATT methods is A and B, I might have them interchanged.  I think SATT-A is resistive and SATT-B with spotter dial only.

RotoTech99

Dear Unbeldi:

I meant to say that I wondered based on what Jack provided in Reply 46 that comes if the last two or so characters after the model, dial, ringer and handset cord codes could be COLOR OPTIONS instead of specific color code?

I've saved a list of AE40 codes off of every one I get or see.

Yes, I got to admit there's a lot of codes, some shorter or longer that don't necessarily follow a "set pattern", but I think Jack has came closest to having something that makes reasonable sense.

I'm going wait for Jack to post his handbooks including the color options before determining more.

I think I've seen something regarding color options in the 4055 and TA-57 catalogs, but at the moment, they don't "ring a bell" as to what" precisely.

RotoTech99

unbeldi

For the AE 40-type sets, the catalogs do not specify color option codes.  They simply ask to specify color and trim when ordering.  The color names are listed in the 1944 version (D) of Catalog 4055.

In April 1940, AE published Circular 1663 (Your Telephone in Color) which features the colors in pictures.   But it is unlikely that they made very many color phones until after the war.  The pre-war color 40s appear to be exceedingly rare, The vast majority (if one can even speak of 'vast') of color AE-40s were made in the 1950s.

The version of TA-57 that is available from TCI is a Canadian catalog, and does not list the Type 40 anymore. Apparently manufacture was discontinued in Canada at that time.  However, the Type 47 is still listed, the multi-line version, for which AE did adopt a specific options sequence, as shown in the following screen shot. It remains to be seen whether these 4111s were still made at Phillips Works, or whether they distributed Northlake sets in Canada.

This suggests the format that Jack mentioned, however, it only lists three options for the dial: M, E, C.  This does not account for the other observed letters in that position: A, D, G,   In particular, A is very common