News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Nortel Venture Buy

Started by DavePEI, December 12, 2016, 04:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

I have always liked the Nortel Venture sets, and just got my third Venture set last night for an extremely low price - 99 cents on Ebay. Ventures allow up to 8 phones to be set up like a key system, each allowing 3 lines in, but Line one must be common, as it signals the other sets using line one.

For a single set, the feature list is amazing, and it only uses an RJ-45 to connect to a "Cam" unit - a cross connector for each set which mounts on the wall. It accepts the RJ-45 from the phone, each of three lines, and the power adapter in a nice, neat unit. No other wiring is needed.

I am posting a copy of the features list below, as well as a photo of the set I won. There are other features aside from these buried in the manual. One example of such is the ability to set up one of the phones as a room monitor, and it will rebroadcast the sounds for that room to the other connected phones when called for. Perfect for Baby's room. Generally, these bring anywhere between $75.00 and $300.00 on Ebay.

First photo, the Venture set; Second, the features list; Third, the Cam kit (connector block, one required for each set). I currently have only one Cam, and I am hoping another will come in this package, and need a third for my other one.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Dave, You have to like it when a plan comes together. ;)

DavePEI

Yes, Doug. It was pretty amazing.  Especially to get it for that price. For an idea of what they normally go for, see the following search: http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_odkw=Nortel+Venture+3+line&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XNortel+Venture+3+line+Telephone.TRS1&_nkw=Nortel+Venture+3+line+Telephone&_sacat=0

While, Of course, with the Museum, my favorites are the vintage phones, Northern Electric, Northern Telecom, and Nortel are a special interest of mine, and visitors expect also to see business equipment. There is nothing easier to set up than the Venture, but of course I also have a couple of 1A2 systems, two Panasonic systems, a Toshiba system, a Tie system, and of course, a Norstar 616 system set up and operational in the museum.
C*NET 1-651-0001

Contempra

Hi Dave . Long time no see... you ;) .. well the venture looks like a Vista 350 that i have and i like it ..

DavePEI

Quote from: Contempra on December 12, 2016, 10:47:24 AM
Hi Dave . Long time no see... you ;) .. well the venture looks like a Vista 350 that i have and i like it ..
Well, I guess it looks similar to it, but very different features. The 350 or screen phone is a single line phone, and cannot be used as a business system as this can be. The 350 is known for its ability show advertising a and add optional services  from the phone company - not something I have ever been crazy about.

But one can certainly see the common Nortel heritage between the two....
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Just a little hint. If you have a Venture phone but no cam, you can make one using an 8 pin jack and three 6 pin jacks. Only the center two conductors of each 6 pin jack are used, for ring and tip. The outer two conductors on the 8 pin are for the 16 volt power. The center pair goes to line 1, the next pair outward from center to line 2, and the next two outward from center are for line 3. Line one must be a standard line, and common to all phones in the network. The other two lines can very between phones. If you have a voip line, it must be on line 2 or 3, I am told. The reason for the common line one, it the digital inter-phone information goes out on line one.
C*NET 1-651-0001

Contempra

Quote from: DavePEI on December 12, 2016, 12:40:18 PM
Well, I guess it looks similar to it, but very different features. The 350 or screen phone is a single line phone, and cannot be used as a business system as this can be. The 350 is known for its ability show advertising a and add optional services  from the phone company - not something I have ever been crazy about.

But one can certainly see the common Nortel heritage between the two....

on a vista 350 ( i have mine yet ) i can have 2 lines  .. in your province , i can't tell ..when you're online , a little " BEEP " can be heard for the second line and ... okay , the rest that i want to say , i'm not able in English sorry ;) . have a nice end PM .

DavePEI

Quote from: Contempra on December 12, 2016, 03:58:39 PM
on a vista 350 ( i have mine yet ) i can have 2 lines  .. in your province , i can't tell ..when you're online , a little " BEEP " can be heard for the second line and ... okay , the rest that i want to say , i'm not able in English sorry ;) . have a nice end PM .

That isn't the same as having two, or three lines. Three lines actually run into these - if you wish to make a call on another line, you put the line you are on on hold, and click the line button you wish, and make a call on the second.

What you are talking about is call waiting. When you flash the hook after a beep, without having a second line, the switch at the Telco switches you to the second call. To get back to the first call, you hook flash again. But is isn't a second line - there is still only one line running to your phone.

On the Venture, you can have a call on each of the three lines, and switch back and forth via the hold button and clicking the desired line. If you wish to page another telephone in your system, you click on the page button, then the assigned number of the phone in question, and it will page it. e.g. If you answer a call on Line 1, and it turns out to be your wife, you can page her or transfer it, and go ahead and make a call on one of the other lines as she gossips away.

Handy - especially around here!
C*NET 1-651-0001