News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dedicated DSL jack?

Started by Tonyrotary, March 21, 2011, 02:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonyrotary

Well had a dsl problem the other day. Called AT&T and they tried resolving it over the phone. The modem was not picking up the dsl signal. After a few checks with the guy on the phone he sets up a sevice call. Well funny thing is later that night the dsl started working again. The technician came and I told him what happened. He asks to see the wiring anyways. Well thebox thew phone line comes in at the house was broken and allowing the weather to get at it.

So he installs a new larger box and also tells me he will dedicate the dsl to the jack the modem is on. He says thats standard protocol when a customer has problems as it eliminates alot of the wiring in the house. Cool, I thought but what if I want to move the modem? He says call AT&T and they can switch the dsl to the jacks the modem is plugged into. I never heard of this procedure before though. Anyone else?

rp2813

Yes. 

I have AT&T and the same thing happened here at my place.  The tech also advised that as a result of dedicating that particular jack, I no longer needed filters on my other jacks.

Ralph

AE_Collector

There is another ongoing thread on here re an ADSL problem discussing the use of whole house splitters rather than individual filters at each jack.

What AT&T is doing there is putting a "whole house" DSL filter at the phone box and then wiring the jack that will feed your DSL modem to the DSL Output of the whole house DSL filter (also frequently referred to as a pots splitter). So if you decide to move your DSL modem to another phone jack the modem will then not sync as the other jacks in your house are filtered. If you are able to determine which jack is which you can change the connections in the phone box yourself.

Terry

Tonyrotary

Thanks for the replies. Yep I know what wires go to what jack soI guess I could always do it myself. But I like the idea of havin the whole house filtered at the box except for that jack. Now soon I have to run a couple of more jacks to hook up all the rotary phones!