News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1931 Emerson Northwind Fan

Started by ....., July 02, 2017, 04:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finely finished a partial restore on my 1931 Emerson Northwind. Painted the cage, blade and gearbox. I also replaced the cord with a cloth covered one. Some before and after pictures. Plus one of it running. Runs well for a 86 year old fan.

My next fan project will be my 1915 GE Brass fan. That fan runs really well for being 102 years old. The last two pictures are of the GE.

AL_as_needed

Cleaned up very nicely, set for another 86 years. I like how they are AC or DC powered. I have an old drill that is the same way. I guess that's a hold over from pre electrification? I know DC was popular for properties that generated their own power and many factory settings pre wwii.
TWinbrook7

TelePlay

Those are really cool and would love to have one but I have to close one eye when looking at the final restoration (help prevents ???itis from setting in). Black and shiny brass are a great combination. You did a very nice job on that restoration.

HarrySmith

In the picture of it running it is all brass but not in others. Is the final product black cage with brass blades or all black?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 02, 2017, 11:38:14 AM
In the picture of it running it is all brass but not in others. Is the final product black cage with brass blades or all black?

Harry,

I think that last picture of the fan running is a before photo. Meta data says it was taken on June 22 while the after image with the black cage was taken on July 1st. Also, the base of the fan running image does not look like it has been restored. There is one light reflection but I do believe I see marks and whatever indicating it is a before photo. The GE meatball is also gold on the last photo and dark on the after photo indicating paint removal?

Duffy can confirm or deny this. Just saying what I see.

Quote from: Duffy on July 02, 2017, 04:19:02 AM
Finely finished a partial restore on my 1931 Emerson Northwind. Painted the cage, blade and gearbox. I also replaced the cord with a cloth covered one. Some before and after pictures. Plus one of it running. Runs well for a 86 year old fan.

My next fan project will be my 1915 GE Brass fan. That fan runs really well for being 102 years old.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. The first four pictures are of the Emerson restore. The last two pictures are of the 1915 GE Fan that will be my next restore. I guess I should have put a space between the two. I'll fix that.

CDN Doug

AL_as_needed

Quote from: TelePlay on July 02, 2017, 10:02:24 AM
Those are really cool and would love to have one but I have to close one eye when looking at the final restoration (help prevents ???itis from setting in). Black and shiny brass are a great combination. You did a very nice job on that restoration.

...Fanitis....? The next "rotary" addiction for phone junkies...? Could be another great use of molasses rust removal.... ;D
TWinbrook7

Quote from: AL_as_needed on July 02, 2017, 08:39:58 PM
...Fanitis....? The next "rotary" addiction for phone junkies...? Could be another great use of molasses rust removal.... ;D

...Fanitis....? Do you think I'm getting it. I own three fans.  :o This picture was taken before the restore on the Emerson in the middle.

AL_as_needed

Fanitis...? No, your completely fine at three.....I mean I have three (going on four) lanterns and there is no way that I have lantern/lampitis. I just have a back up for my back up, same as my phones. Just one phone and 10 backups should something happen.  :)
TWinbrook7