News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Frustrated ... does Dial Gizmo still exist? Or is an X Link BTTN the best way to go?

Started by xtal_01, January 11, 2018, 12:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan S

Xtal 01

Over the years I've bought and supplied dozens of Xlinks with the payphones I sell on Ebay.
The best source for them is Amazon:

Xtreme-Technologies-BTTN-Bluetooth-Gateway-Black

Buy the BTTN it's the one that you plug a phone line into.

The Xlink has the fastest rotary to TT converter on the market.

dsk
It makes no difference how old the Xlink is. You can go to their website and get the latest firmware. The only thing you need is a USB cable. They have made provisions for antique phone collectors. You can program how the Xlink responds to rotary dialing.

Stan S.

Jack Aman

Second Stan's advice.  I got my X Link BTTN on Amazon years ago.  It works perfectly.   The cable modem plugs into the device, and the device then plugs into the house wiring.  The system "looks" just like POTS to my house phones--all oldies.  The Xlink rings three 302's, two D1's on subsets, and one B1 on a subset strongly without the "extra ringing power" that you can set in it's software.  Dial out on the rotaries never fails. You can even respond to simple "press one now..." systems with your dials. My wife and I have our cells ported onto it, too.  My cell phone rings the house phones with a standard American ring.  My wife's announces with the British "ring-ring" pattern.  All programmable in the software.  Very clever device, and I've never had a moments trouble with it.

mazda_matt

Like someone mentioned above, we sell a pulse to tone converter: https://www.oldphoneworks.com/pulse-to-tone-converter.html

Use the coupon code in my signature for 10% off as well.

Our unit will not work with AT&T uVerse or USB VoIP like Magic Jack or Ooma.

Shipping is cheap as well.

-MM
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

Coupon Code - CRF10 (10% off)

TelePlay

Quote from: mazda_matt on January 16, 2018, 04:26:41 PM
Our unit will not work with AT&T uVerse or USB VoIP like Magic Jack or Ooma.

Just found out the hard way that the Dialor2.0 will also not work with uVerse. Does not break dial tone on dialing and I tried several phones, some of which I know are working at 10 pps +/- .2 (well within spec).

xtal_01

Hey!

I hadn't checked this post for a few days ... for some reason the notifications went to my spam folder.

Anyway, even thought I did not get a n e-mail back after three tries, I decided to order the Dial Gizom.

I am a bit worried  .... did not even get a notice if it has shipped or not.

With luck it will magically appear in a week or so.

Thanks .... Mike

dsk

As suggested here, I dug out my old XLink and upgraded. , Calling out works well, but will it ring or not?  Sometimes yes, sometimes no!  I have e-mailed them and asked for help, so I hope to get answer. Maybe I need another BT app on the phone? X-Link accepts the pulses nicely! I should wish I could receive calls too.

dsk

xtal_01

I would be very interested in the answer you get.

There is one on e-bay right now for $25

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XLINK-BLUETOOTH-CELLULAR-GATEWAY-Black/122916490948

and another for $50

I do what my phone to ring as well as to call out.

Thanks .... Mike

dsk

dsk

This morning, i  restarted the XLink, and turned on the BT on the phone, no ringing.  I took a complete restart on the phone, turned on BT on it works.  For how long??? 

dsk

Jack Aman

Strange.  Mine rings all house phones strongly, every time and that is without the "extra ringing power" you can set in the firmware.   Maybe if you "forget" the connection on both the cell and the xlink, then re-pair.  Years ago I had a glitchy bluetooth connection between an old (first edition) Droid Turbo and the xlink.  They made and sent a custom patch that solved it.  Subsequent to that, I have updated the firmware with the routine download and the device handles my VOIP line (Comcast) my cell (Motorola Turbo 2) and my wife's cell (Galaxy 8) without a hitch.  One thing, I have found that trying to stretch the bluetooth range doesn't work.  I have our charge stations right next to the Xlink.  They will connect at 20-30 feet, but for good, clear connections, the shorter the better. Good luck.  Don't give up...I can tell you when the thing works right, it works very well.

dsk

I have done a lot testing, tried lots of BT apps on the phone, it works after a real restart of the phone, but no reconnecting, and yes the phone should be located pretty close to the XLink. (3' max) I'm pretty sure the phone makes the trouble.  That was not a problem before update to android 6.

dsk

Nick in Manitou

I want to make sure before I spend the money on an XLink BTTN that I am understanding its functions correctly...

We have VoIP (through OOMA) and I want to be able to dial out with rotary telephones through the VoIP connection.

We may pair the cell phones with the X link eventually, but the primary use would be to be able to use the rotary phones throughout the house for incoming and outgoing calls.

The Xlink BTTN would be the unit I need?

(I was about to purchase a Dialgizmo or equivalent, but saw Mazda Matt's statement above that they wouldn't work with VoIP from OOMA.)

Thanks,
Nick

poplar1

BTTN is correct model for one voip (or landline) + up to 3 Bluetooth capable cell phones. $79.95 at myxlink.com

BTN doesn't have the RJ11 input for voip/landline. $69.95 at same website.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Nick in Manitou

Jack Aman

You'll love it.  There are a number of settings in the firmware that speak to old phones.  You can get it to compensate/accept slow, sticky dials, and so on.  My BTTN rings three 302's, two D1's on subsets, and a B-1 on a subset strongly without the "extra ringing power" you can set in the firmware.