News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

For Profit: What was your greates eBay SNIPE or FLIP?

Started by Partyline4, August 31, 2018, 11:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Partyline4

So I know we all love to sit here and think we're so slick for getting something for nothing, and then making a good flip. I want to hear what your best eBay deal was. It could be just a purchase, or it could be a flip. I've seen many good flips lately, such as a contour that was recently featured on the forums auction contest found here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20780.0

Some good detective work by a forum member discovered that the seller had procured the contour for a mere $80,  and later sold it for over $1000! I've seen the occasional AE 50 jukebox in color picked out of the crowd in the low hundreds, only to be sold for close to $2000 a few days later. This is such a unique market, this one of ours, and the thrill of making a lot of money from a smaller amount is one that I find quite exhilarating.

Best deal I got was a couple of candlesticks on eBay - One for $69, one for $95. I refurbed the $95, and got $195 for it - sold the $69 exactly as I got it, for $147 or so. It felt really good too.

I'll occasionally pick up a few 102's or 202's and scrounge up some good cords and dials to make a superphone. That is always fun too.

again, don't know how this will be perceived, but I think the topic has some "bite" to it, that we can kind of all relate to with an elbow nudge and a smirk.

Doug Rose

Jan found this at Brimfield last September for $30. It sold on eBay for $1335. This was the best we ever did. ..Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18831.msg193582#msg193582

Kidphone

Partyline4

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 01, 2018, 10:40:02 AM
Jan found this at Brimfield last September for $30. It sold on eBay for $1335. This was the best we ever did. ..Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18831.msg193582#msg193582

Doug,

I somehow remember jflowres, and occasionally check your listings. I somehow saw that 1335 and was able to still put the item number in and see that magnificent phone!

Even with the split handset, it was still an amazing flip!

Bravo

Partyline4

Thanks everybody for sharing your great stories!

Glad we could all chip in and have a fun conversation on the forum!

Doug Rose

I must have missed your great story. I posted what I thought was my best.

When I start a Thread like this, I always show you mine first and then you can show me yours :o

Not a lot of members on the Forum are sellers on eBay. Most are acquiring.

I no longer sell on eBay with all the fees from eBay, Paypal, State Taxes and Fed Taxes I was just breaking even.

So.....I showed you mine...lets see yours  ::) .....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

My best (and only really good one) was the blue WE 511 Interphone which I bought for $20 (along with a ringer) and which sold for $1525:forum link.

Larry

Partyline4

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 03, 2018, 08:22:17 PM
I must have missed your great story. I posted what I thought was my best.

When I start a Thread like this, I always show you mine first and then you can show me yours :o

Not a lot of members on the Forum are sellers on eBay. Most are acquiring.

I no longer sell on eBay with all the fees from eBay, Paypal, State Taxes and Fed Taxes I was just breaking even.

So.....I showed you mine...lets see yours  ::) .....Doug

I know, Doug :)

I told my best, though - the two candlesticks that I flipped....Hmmmm, there were also these sets of 102's and 202's I kept winning pretty cheap on eBay. I would get GOOD parts, and then make great phones and sell them for a good flip.

Found an AE model 50 for $22 shipped on eBay, actually my grandad found it for me, as he was impressed with what I did with the candlesticks....Sold it exactly as I got it for 125 I believe.

Bought a WE candlestick, the most generic one, a year ago with the ringer box, and a hard to find battery box, for $50 - sold for $199 on eBay.

Didn't realize most users were acquirers, Doug.

YOU DON'T SELL ANYMORE?!?!? 

Partyline4

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on September 03, 2018, 08:23:10 PM
My best (and only really good one) was the blue WE 511 Interphone which I bought for $20 (along with a ringer) and which sold for $1525:forum link.

Larry

That sounds superb! Must have been a thrill that night!

Doug Rose

Quote from: Partyline4 on September 03, 2018, 08:50:45 PM
I know, Doug :)

YOU DON'T SELL ANYMORE?!?!? 
I sell only on CL now. I had my fun on eBay.....I really did.
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 03, 2018, 09:05:29 PM
I sell only on CL now. I had my fun on eBay.....I really did.
I have never had much luck selling on this forum, However,  you might want to advise us of your phones for sale  24-48 hrs before CL.
Just a thought,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 03, 2018, 09:31:22 PM
Here is our CL listings.

https://boston.craigslist.org/search/sss?userid=8261552
Wow, Lots of goodies and nice pricing as well.
If you are still willing to ship, you should post the link in the classifieds.
If you do. I would add a  packing cost to pay for your time, materials, and packing.

I would update your posting as you add  new listings  on your CL,
Just My Opinion, (for what it is worth),
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Partyline4

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 03, 2018, 09:31:22 PM
Here are our CL listings.

https://boston.craigslist.org/search/sss?userid=8261552

I can smell the Skin So Soft...

Very nice, Doug. I've been selling on eBay for over a decade, and things have definitely changed...some for the good, and some for the bad. There's news that soon, everything on the internet will require sales tax....

I guess we should enjoy it while it lasts

Partyline4

Quote from: Jim S. on September 03, 2018, 09:16:21 PM
I have never had much luck selling on this forum, However,  you might want to advise us of your phones for sale  24-48 hrs before CL.
Just a thought,
Jim S.

I think of the forum rarely when looking for something to sell or buy. Too much material and not enough coverage....

and they're probably too busy scouring eBay for that Orchid AE 40 for 199 BIN....

JMO

FABphones

Doug - There are three on your CL that I would snap up as they are on my want list.... PM me if you will ship outside US and I can look into it.   :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble