News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

stromberg carlson

Started by benkeys, October 21, 2012, 03:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benkeys

I just came across this SC phone while browsing on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300798720431
( dead link 01-12-22 )

It is right in my price range, i just have no clue what model it is or even how old it is. So i'm fairly certain it is worth the asking price, but i do have a few questions. What model is it? Roughly how old is it? Last, Does it carry an internal ringer in it? 
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

LarryInMichigan

That is a SC 1243.  I think that they were made from the end of the 1930s into the early 1950s.  For whatever reason, they usually go for cheap ($10-$20).  Many, if not most, have frequency ringers installed.  The shell is a heavy zinc alloy.  This one needs some repainting, but the price isn't bad.

Larry

dsk

I love that design, and the telephone has a kind of universal circuit, it can be modified between configurations from Local battery, to CB or a combination.

dsk

benkeys

Thanks. If all go as planned i'll be getting it this week. I like phones that are generally inexpensive,as i never have a whole lot to spend on them. If i get it i'm guessing i'm going to have to rewire the ringer to a similar configuration as i had to do on my 500 and 554 when i got them? I can handle repainting it, i will get some inexpensive spray gloss black and paint it.
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

benkeys

Well, looks like i'm not getting this one. It sold.. i truly hope a fellow member on this site didnt buy it knowing i had my eye on it...  bc that would be pretty low and messed up. I guess i wont post anymore ebay links, just post a screen shot of the picture.

G-Man

The Bell System purchase a lot of these sets from Stromberg Carlson since they were considered to be equivelent to Western's 302.