News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wanted: WE G15 (modular) handset in Turquoise

Started by Dave F, July 15, 2017, 09:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave F

I'm looking for a clean WE modular handset in turquoise (not faded blue!), in case anybody has one to spare.  Can also use a turquoise modular coil-cord to go with it.

Thanks!

Dave F.

Victor Laszlo

Turquoise, pink and gray were MD before modular phones were introduced, roughly in 1976.  The only modular versions of the G3 in these colors (the G15) are pink ones, because pink Princesses were re-introduced at a later date, and gray ones, which were provided on 2503 data sets.  The G15 in turquoise is an unobtainium product.

Jim Stettler

WE did convert some hardwire handsets to modular.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Victor Laszlo

Yes, they did. They milled-out a round portion in the handle at the transmitter end, and glued in a plug that was molded to accommodate the modular socket. I've seen examples of that product in the business colors and perhaps red and yellow, but I doubt if they did that for turquoise handsets.  Turquoise had been MD'd for a while when those modified handsets came out, and since the only products that would call for them in turquoise were 500's, 2500's and Princesses, there would have been a limited market for them. As turquoise phones in any version, whether residential or business types, neared end of life, they were replaced with aqua blue sets, which continued to be offered in modular, well into and beyond Divestiture.

jsowers

Maybe Dave has a phone in Cameo Green? It looks a bit like Turquoise and was made around Divestiture.
Jonathan

poplar1

Quote from: jsowers on July 16, 2017, 01:15:07 AM
Maybe Dave has a phone in Cameo Green? It looks a bit like Turquoise and was made around Divestiture.

The cameo green, slate blue, or peach Princess sets I have seen all had refurb dates later than 1990. Also, these colors were only on sets with lamps  remanufactured at the AT&T service centers, not on any newly manufactured sets (except new Signature Princess in peach).

The lampless CS702BMs and CS2702BMGs superseded the 702BM and 2702BMG c. 1983. These have been found in ivory, white, dark blue and yellow.

There were new Signature 2703BMG sets, but only in 5 colors:
White, ivory, peach, pink, and aqua blue.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Dave F

Thank you all for your comments.  I'm certainly no expert on exactly when various colors went MD, but I can tell you that I recently found a genuine turquoise 2660A1MW Card Dialer which was made in 1978.  This phone was manufactured modular and was not converted at a later date.  The color is genuine turquoise as I have verified by looking at the inside of the housing.  Don't know what the original handset was, but at some point in the past it was replaced with a blue one, and that's what it has now.  It seems to me that it must have originally had a modular turquoise handset, but like I said, I'm no expert.  I could probably mickey-mouse in a hardwired handset, but I would rather find the right one -- if it does actually exist.

Anyhow, maybe everyone can keep a lookout in case one pops up in the future.

Ain't phone-collecting fun?!

DF

PS:  Turquoise is a very rare color for a Card Dialer, and when I bought this one I though that it was most likely blue.  That's why the titles of the pictures below say blue instead of turquoise.

DF