News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

western electric 500 out collection about to be refurbished

Started by southernphoneman, March 22, 2013, 03:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southernphoneman

this a western electric 500 out of my collection about to be refurbished.photos below.updates later.

southernphoneman

the phone has progressed pretty well over the last few hours.i have the phone all taken apart, and i am changing the finger wheel to black metal,which was bent.i had to take it to a vise to straighten it out,then wire brushed it, and painted it . the bells have been wire brushed to remove the tarnish and polished as well.more updates later or tomorrow. photos posted below.

southernphoneman

no need to post any photos as of yet, but i have done the general cleaning on the phone,cleaned the tarninish off the connectors,cleaned the inside , the network board etc., cleaned the plastics.tomorrow i will re solder the loose wires back to their connections.further updates will be forthcoming.

southernphoneman

it is update time again. i am about 75 to 80% with the phone.i have resoldered the loose wires, an have started putting the phone back together. i have already put it back together enough to do the tests to it to make sure it makes and receives calls,as well as it rings.everything a ok so far. photos listed below. more updates on the way.

southernphoneman

the phone is really nearing completion at this point. if you saw the first photo or 2 you might have noticed that the plungers were clear. they are being painted black. the photo below shows the phone put back together minus the casing.once the plungers are dry and reinstalled, there will be another update. the only thing left after that is a good polishing on all the plastics. that won t take place untill my purchase of new novus comes in the mail sometime hopefully next week. stay tuned for more :)

southernphoneman

the phone is now 99% complete. it doesn t look like much right now because as i said in the last reply,i have to wait to polish it, but the plungers are done being painted and are reinstalled. the phone has had its final checks done and everything checks out. once the phone has been polished, i will post a final update. refurbishing this phone and posting photos step by step,as well as the updates have been fun to do. i can see by the views that my fellow forum members have been looking, and i have enjoyed sharing them with you all. thankyou....southernphoneman.

southernphoneman

the black finger wheel in the above photo was re painted and i do not like how it came out.that is the only update for now.i did not prep it like did on the other side, so i will wire brush it and re paint it.      this where a saying comes to mind; why is it that there is never enough time to do it right, but there is always enough time to do it over. ;D

southernphoneman

my novus polish has been shipped andmy finger wheel is being re painted. once the polish is received i will polish the phone and then do the final update with photos.

southernphoneman

one more thing,as far as the finger wheel is concerned, i just put the last coat of paint on it and considering its condition when i started working on it, i am going to call it GOOD ENOUGH, because i want to put it back in service and the finger wheel did not turn out the way i had hoped but it is not going to be sold and i am happy with it anyway.up dates later.

southernphoneman

next to the last update, the finger wheel has now been painted and re installed with a number card on it. photo posted below. final update later in the week.

southernphoneman

well folks,the 500 is now complete and back in service. the novus polish came today and everything looks good. I will update with photos later.here is the final photo.

Dan/Panther

southerphoneman;
A couple suggestions.
On the fingerwheel. If you lay it face down, on a flat surface, and sand it on a couple different grits of paper, it will come out rather smooth. Also when you paint it, place it in a preheated oven at about 125 degrees fore about 30 minutes, it will look factory new.
Good job.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

southernphoneman

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 29, 2013, 02:56:42 PM
southerphoneman;
A couple suggestions.
On the fingerwheel. If you lay it face down, on a flat surface, and sand it on a couple different grits of paper, it will come out rather smooth. Also when you paint it, place it in a preheated oven at about 125 degrees fore about 30 minutes, it will look factory new.
Good job.

D/P
I think I know the obvious answer but just in case,once I paint it, is that when you put it in the oven at a preheated 125 degrees for 30 minuts

Dan/Panther

Yes paint the back first, let it air dry, then paint the front. Place in on something like a socket that only covers the center portion, on a pan, in the preheated oven for 1/2 an hour. The paint will flow smooth. and be somewhat harder.

Just remember, it's going to be hot when you take it out of the oven. I usually let mine cool awhile then run under cold water.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

southernphoneman

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 30, 2013, 01:21:31 PM
Yes paint the back first, let it air dry, then paint the front. Place in on something like a socket that only covers the center portion, on a pan, in the preheated oven for 1/2 an hour. The paint will flow smooth. and be somewhat harder.

Just remember, it's going to be hot when you take it out of the oven. I usually let mine cool awhile then run under cold water.

D/P
thankyou dan for the tips. I will try it and let you know how it turns out.