News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I found a painted rarity; 1954 Oxford Grey 500

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, March 25, 2014, 09:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I have no idea what happened to the last topic I made, so I'll just make a new one.

I recently won a phone on eBay for $31, and I'm positive that it's a 1954 Oxford Grey 500! It was painted light grey in the late fifties or early sixties, with the dial bezel and both cords replaced with light grey parts. I'm extremely proud to own it, and I guess I was just in the right place at the right time!  ;D It will probably be here in a week or so, because the seller doesn't ship it for five days or so.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/261427456454?nav=SEARCH
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Dennis Markham

Christian, I think it's part of the problem we're experiencing with the server.  It may appear again some day.

Nice buy on that phone.  I know that several of us here were watching that phone.  I hope that you are able to get the grey paint off and make a nice Oxford Gray phone out of it.  Perhaps another black dial or two-tone set.

~Dennis

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Dennis Markham on March 25, 2014, 09:31:49 PM
Christian, I think it's part of the problem we're experiencing with the server.  It may appear again some day.

Nice buy on that phone.  I know that several of us here were watching that phone.  I hope that you are able to get the grey paint off and make a nice Oxford Gray phone out of it.  Perhaps another black dial or two-tone set.

~Dennis
I think I'll be able to get paint off the detailed parts, such as corners and the Bell System badge on the rear, with the La's Totally Awesome solution. I'll use 220 grit on the flat areas, like the sides and rear. I still can't believe I own an Oxford Grey, I thought that it would be the last colored 500 set I would ever own, if I ever came across one.
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Nice find, I saw that, but I didn't know what to think. I thought, from the small eBay mobile picture, it was a replaced white casing with an old white center.

Oh well, too bad for me.

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on March 25, 2014, 10:28:54 PM
Nice find, I saw that, but I didn't know what to think. I thought, from the small eBay mobile picture, it was a replaced white casing with an old white center.

Oh well, too bad for me.

Ben
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on March 25, 2014, 10:28:54 PM

Oh well, too bad for me.

Ben
Well, in a few weeks, while you get to kick back and relax on your computer, you get to watch me explain how I'm bending my fingernail backwards trying to remove Polane by hand. ;D
Christian Petterson

jsowers

Christian, I spotted it too and I was third runner up in the bidding. I'm glad you got it. My fingernails are also glad you got it.  ;)   That was some really good spotting you did there. This phone even appeared in an eBay email I got early this afternoon telling me a phone I won yesterday had shipped. It said "Others bought these to complement their purchase." Like the gray phone had already been sold! I attached a screen shot of the crazy email.

This phone, if it's original to the 1954 date on the bottom, should have a black dial with a black metal fingerwheel and dark gray cords. Or if you add a black Bakelite handset, black dial and black cords, you could have a dark gray two-tone.

Good luck with your paint removal and please share it on the Forum for all to see.
Jonathan

WEBellSystemChristian

Thank you! I have a secret weapon; Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric coating. They have one in Charcoal Grey, which matches Neutral Grey precisely. These coatings stick extremely well, even on coiled cords! I can use a modified four conductor line cord to coat this in.
Christian Petterson

AE40FAN

I was the 2nd runner up on this auction.  Keep us posted with before and after photos.

WEBellSystemChristian

I have three pieces of good news to bring you fine people today.

1) The phone arrived at my dad's work today (so I haven't actually seen it yet).

2) The paint scratches off easily, so it may not be Polane.

3) My dad can see dark grey underneath the paint!

I can't wait to see it in person! Hopefully it won't need months of soaking in degreaser before all of the paint is removed.
Christian Petterson