News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

2AB dial with H-in-a-square on the fingerstop

Started by Bill, December 23, 2023, 03:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

I have a nice 151AL candlestick with a #2 notched dial. The finger stop is stamped 2AB followed by an "H" in a square. What is the significance of the H-in-a-square?

Bill

SUnset2

Have you looked at the back of the dial to see if it has been converted into a 2H?

Bill

No, but it's an interesting thought. I would have expected that the "AB" would have been over-stamped somehow, like the marks on a converted deskset cradle or desk stand perch. If a dial conversion was done, would it not have been easier to simply replace the fingerstop during the conversion, rather than taking it off, restamping it, and remounting it?

But after the holidays are over and my time is my own again, I guess I can pull off the bottom cover and see the back of the dial. How would I recognize an "H" as opposed to an "AB"?

Bill

TelePlay

Quote from: Bill on December 24, 2023, 10:35:26 AMHow would I recognize an "H" as opposed to an "AB"?

This may be of help with that:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=26894.msg259843#msg259843

From poplar1 -
QuoteDials converted from 2A will have the original W terminal restamped "R."(Original 2H dials already have the R terminal stamped into the dial.)

Just my guess but over stamping by WE would indicate a modified or converted part versus an originally made part, truth in identification seems to be what WE had always done.

poplar1

The H in a square is probably to designate the WE repair shop where the dial was serviced -- possibly Hawthorne (Cicero, IL). Had it been converted to a 2H dial, there would have been a new W terminal screw, and the old W would have been restamped R.

So it is probably still a 2A dial with 4 terminals (Y-BK-BB-W).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Bill

Poplar1, it appears you have the right answer. I opened up the base, and it is really busy in there! As seen in the first pic, it has a 61A dial filter. It also has quite a number of unconnected wires, including the filter leads, so I have to sort that out. The second pic shows the 4 dial screw connections Y-BK-BB-W, and no sign of an R screw. Since the dial is unmodified, the H-in-a-square probably refers to a service rather than a mod, as you suggested.  In the top left of the second pic, there is clearly a date stamp II-31 with a C-in-a-circle. Not sure if this is the original build date, or the date of a mod/upgrade to the entire instrument.

Thanks for all the thoughts on the H-in-a-square.

Bill

HarrySmith

Nice stick Bill. It appears the date on the dial is Nov 38 so that would indicate is was replaced at some point. That could be the source of the markings. Looks like somebody did not know what the filter was so they just disconnected it. At least they did not toss it in the trash  ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"