"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ivory 302 with some unique history - went under the radar

Started by baldopeacock, December 26, 2010, 10:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldopeacock

Didn't sell. 

Odd listing, and I think it went unnoticed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=200556545663
( dead link 12-06-21 )

This one apparently lived at CBS Hollywood and is stamped as such on the bottom.   The seller insists that this one is a "Perry Mason" phone - NOT LUCY!

I would guess this one could have seen duty as a prop phone or set phone back in the day.   

Adam

Wanted too much, perhaps?

I snarfed the pics of it, though, it's destined to be added to my page called "Telephones from Interesting Places" on www.manufacturediscontinued.com

:)
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

baldopeacock

I'm pretty sure I've seen nice quality Ivory 302s bring the seller's opening price.   This one shows no damage and in fact likely saw very little actual use, if it spent its life as a set piece.   If I weren't paying for Christmas and a new furnace I might have taken a shot at this one.   :)   I have a few broadcasting historical items around the house, I've worked in that business most of my life so there's some connection for me.

Adam

It wasn't clear from the description (and the seller might not have actually known) whether the phone was used as a prop on TV shows or was just a phone in use in the offices of CBS TV.
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

Dennis Markham

I sat here and watched the clock tick down on it too...I had an itchy finger but used some restraint.  I thought sure someone would hit it for openers.  So it will more than likely make the rounds again.

Adam

Quote from: baldopeacock on December 26, 2010, 11:14:34 PM
I have a few broadcasting historical items around the house, I've worked in that business most of my life so there's some connection for me.

Do you have any broadcasting history-related telephones?  I'd love to hear about/see pics of them!
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

baldopeacock

Quote from: masstel on December 26, 2010, 11:29:42 PM
I have a few broadcasting historical items around the house, I've worked in that business most of my life so there's some connection for me.

Do you have any broadcasting history-related telephones?  I'd love to hear about/see pics of them!

I have an oddball - it's an RCA branded phone that I found in a late '40s broadcast equipment catalog from RCA.   It's NOS.   It has an MI- part number which was RCA's standard numbering system when they were in that business.   I can't say this for sure, but in their heyday RCA did a lot of turn-key installations for broadcast stations, and I think this was an item that they offered if a client wanted it.    The phone's actually at a friend's place - ETS79, who posts here.   Maybe he'd dig it out and snap a photo of it for me sometime.   When I bought it on eBay, the seller had two of them - one showed some use, the other (mine) was NOS in the box.   It looks like some of the European phones of that vintage so it's kind of an odd duck.

baldopeacock

Quote from: masstel on December 26, 2010, 11:21:09 PM
It wasn't clear from the description (and the seller might not have actually known) whether the phone was used as a prop on TV shows or was just a phone in use in the offices of CBS TV.

Could have been either, but being stamped property of their maintenance dept suggests to me that it was more likely a prop phone or set piece.   The maintenance shop wouldn't have had anything this fancy, and the maintenance/engineering crew would have been responsible for installing a working phone on a set.

Doug Rose

Quote from: masstel on December 26, 2010, 11:29:42 PM

this is an old Western Electric wood phone that I think came from a studio. I have never seen another one like it....Doug
Kidphone

Adam

Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820