News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How do you know what type of subset to get?

Started by ntophones, November 05, 2009, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

It is actually possible to make a (temporary?) subset very simple.

It works!

Both capacitors may be from 0.5-4.7 μF.   I would try 0.5-1 μF in series with the ringer, and 2-4.7 μF in series with the receiver. Just depending on what i have. (nonpolarized and more than 100V)
dsk

ntophones

Thanks--I'm going to study that. Right now, I'm not really sure what all that means, but I have an electrical handbook I can study.
--nto

dsk

May this be better? Some more names on the components, and a picture of a ringer and some capacitors.

dsk

ntophones

Yes, that does help--thank you!. I love the words on there. It makes tons more sense.
I'm going to learn these schematics if it kills me, though....
--nto

Bill

Wait a minute! You're going to destroy a 302 to make a subset? But I love 302s! Perhaps I'm just an old curmudgeon, but wouldn't it be possible to destroy a grubby five-dollar 500-set from the local antique bin instead, and save the 302?

Bill

Phonesrfun

Bill:

I hear you on that one.

It was already that way when I got it.  I bought a bunch of parts from a collector in town that is mostly into woodies, and so I bought a bunch of bare-bones parts from him.

If I had a whole 302, I would not part it out, that's for sure.  

At this juncture, a 302 base getting use as a subset is far better than it just sitting in a box in my basement.  Besides, no wires are cut in the process and no re-wiring.  It is totally non destructive.  Just hook up the phone to existing connections.  That is one of the things that is attractive about this alternative.

-Bill G

dsk

It is a lot of possibilities, and you should definitely not ruin a working phone.
I hate to throw away things, and just picked some things I had stored for my idea to a subset.

You may need a ringer, or listen to the 302 as it is ringing.  A coil (as simple as an old shaver-motor) and a capacitor may be the simplest hybrid circuit replacement possible, except for just connecting to the line, and let the circuit be transmitter and receiver in series (,which is no good for the receiver).

Now you have to dig in the shed, basement or??? and tell me what you have. Together we may make a working subset like no one else :o

dsk

Dennis Markham

Bil, that's exactly what I did as well.  I bought some 302 bases that a collector was selling.  I would never take apart a good phone just for the base.  But the bases that I bought cleaned up nice and work as a subset with the Ray Kotke cover....until the right "real" subset comes along.  There is no doubt that the ringer in the old subscriber sets sound different than the ringers in the 302's.  I really like that old sound that comes from the older subsets.

bingster

Quote from: Bill on November 10, 2009, 10:48:08 AM...but wouldn't it be possible to destroy a grubby five-dollar 500-set from the local antique bin instead, and save the 302?

It's possible, but it's a complicated solution.  Occasionally, you'll see pre-302 telephones mated to the 685 subset, which is the 1950s-1980s subset with 500 components inside.  It can be done, but it requires a lot of wiring modifications in the subset and within the phone plus a six conductor mounting cord. 

The easiest and simplest thing to do is to take a loose 101A coil and hook it up between the line and phone.  I did that for a 202 before I had a subset--just a loose coil sitting under a chair.
= DARRIN =

Bill

Quote from: PhonesrfunBill:

I hear you on that one.

It was already that way when I got it.  I bought a bunch of parts from a collector in town that is mostly into woodies, and so I bought a bunch of bare-bones parts from him.

If I had a whole 302, I would not part it out, that's for sure.
Whew! Glad to hear it. I was about to make an open offer to swap 302's for 500's any day of the week. Complete 500's seem to be underfoot in my neck of the woods - 302's, not so much.

Bill

dsk

An even simpler way to manage without subset is described at page 11 (Skip the switch) in this document.  http://tinyurl.com/y9e2km8

dsk

ntophones

What a neat article!
Thanks for posting the url.
--nto