News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hook-up Wire

Started by savageje, April 24, 2015, 08:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

savageje

Just wondering, what types/gauges of hook-up wire do you recommend to replace missing connections or damaged wires in your phones?  Where do you buy it?  I have been using some stuff I bought at Radio Shack a few years ago, but am not super impressed with the quality of it.

Ktownphoneco

I'm not sure what type of wire your referring, e.g., old sets with cloth covered wire, or the newer sets with plastic covered conductors.     Most of the sets I restore are old, and use cloth covered conductors.       For that type of wire, I buy 22 gauge cloth covered wire from Angela.com.      They specialize in parts for the repair of electric guitars. 
Here's a direct link to the web page dealing with wire :     http://www.angela.com/wire.aspx
For newer sets with plastic covered conductors, hopefully someone else on the forum who repairs those phones can help you out.       For the spade connectors, I buy from either OldPhoneWorks, or Phonecoinc.com.     

Jeff Lamb

savageje

Thanks, Jeff. I was mostly referring to the older sets with cloth-covered wire. Thanks for the link as well. I will definitely have to try them out.