News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 500 please teach me!

Started by vivi, October 11, 2010, 04:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

No never throw one out! they are always useable! I think Dennis offered the ring. As far as the black wire it really does not matter, I usually just stuff it under something ;D
BTW the red & green wires are known as Tip & Ring, also positive and negative.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

Vivi, the retainer clip went out in today's mail.  The phone will be fine once you get it all back together.  Put it on eBay if you don't like it and maybe you can double you $$$.

vivi

Quote from: Dennis Markham on October 13, 2010, 03:29:41 PM
Vivi, the retainer clip went out in today's mail.  The phone will be fine once you get it all back together.  Put it on eBay if you don't like it and maybe you can double you $$$.

Harry, don't worry -I won't throw it out.... I'll use it as my weapon around the house -I think I could kill an intruder if I throw it at them hard enough! Just kidding! This sucker is going in my kitchen once I am done with it --it's a matter of pride now.  ;) Thanks for the help, education and guidance!

Dennis, THERE'S A THOUGHT!   ::) But won't happen..... I really want a red phone in my kitchen and I'd be weary of buying another one.... pictures are SO deceiving with these red phones! They all look nice and shinny on screen!  Thanks for the ring! It'll be going on it as soon as it gets here.  BTW, I read a post of yours on refinishing techniques -I think on a brown 500- which I can't find now.... can you point me to it? I have applied the first coat of Novus 2 on the case and let it dry over night. I buffed off today and nothing looked different.  Should I rub the Novus 2 on a lot ? Is the buffer necessary? I don't know if I'll achieve the "mirror" finish you get just by hand, right?
~ Vivi
Hello? Hello? Are you there? ;p

Dennis Markham

Vivi, I think this is the topic you referenced:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1154.45

Included in that topic is a link to my web album about that phone.  It is here:

http://tinyurl.com/krwmw5

I have never left the polish on for long periods of time, as you did overnight.  I just rub in the polish, let it dry and then buff immediately thereafter.  I do both, hand polishing, especially where I can't get with the Ryobi and then I use the Ryobi.  I think it does a nicer job than just doing it by hand.  Although some get great results with long period of polishing by hand.

HarrySmith

Novus 2 will not give you any shine, it is a scratch remover, it will give you a smooth finish. If you have all the scratches out and it is smooth you need smoething to polish it as a final coat. There are numerous things to use. Novus 1 is a good finish coat, I have also used car wax. I just bought Turtle Wax #21 which is a protectant several people here have used with great results, I have not used it yet but expect it to work well. A search here for refinishing or restoring will produce much advice, probably too much ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

Harry, I don't understand what you mean that Novus2 will not give you any shine.  All my shiny phones were polished with Novus 2.  I guess it's like everything, personal preference. 

HarrySmith

OK, maybe I overstated with "not give any shine". I use it on all my phones too and there is some shine to it but I feel not enough so I always use some form of polish as a finish coat such as Novus 1 or wax. I will be trying the turtle wax stuff on the next one.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

deedubya3800

How much shine did they have when they were brand new? Some of these phones they fix up and sell on eBay look like black dress boots. Is that even realistic?

Dennis Markham

I like the aspect of the Turtle Wax that it provides UV protection but it comes off kind of greasy.  You have to really buff it with a dry rag to get all of the residual product off the plastic.  Be careful when picking up your phone afterward, they can be very slippery after an application of the Turtle Wax 21.

HarrySmith

I really have no idea what they looked like when new but I would imagine they must have had a nice gloss to satisfy the consumer. Who wants a new phone that is dull?

I will be careful picking them up after polishing as usual. I remember a post about buffing them thoroughly to remove all traces and using the cloth on the cords.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JorgeAmely

Quote from: deedubya3800 on October 13, 2010, 08:40:51 PM
How much shine did they have when they were brand new? Some of these phones they fix up and sell on eBay look like black dress boots. Is that even realistic?

I took a close look at the white 500 that was in a box since 1958. It is very shiny to the point you can see reflections of nearby objects very well. The numbers wheel is matte finished.
Jorge

HarrySmith

I always hand buff, maybe that is why I do not get as much shine from the Novus 2. Dennis, what Ryobi tool do you use? I have been reading the thread on the lists about polishing bakelite and I am dreaming of getting a bench buffer but I have no place to use it. My current phone repair station is half of the dining room table. I don't think my wife would be too happy with buffing compund and dust flying around the dining room!!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

KeithB

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 14, 2010, 07:18:11 AM
I always hand buff, maybe that is why I do not get as much shine from the Novus 2. Dennis, what Ryobi tool do you use? I have been reading the thread on the lists about polishing bakelite and I am dreaming of getting a bench buffer but I have no place to use it. My current phone repair station is half of the dining room table. I don't think my wife would be too happy with buffing compund and dust flying around the dining room!!
<Here's the Ryobi buffer> (refurbed) at Amazon.  Home Depot usually carries it for anywhere from $24 to $29.  It's nice, but others have commented with a few suggestions:
a) peel back/thin down the buffing pad.  It's about an inch thick in three layers of foam.
b) trim away 1/4- to 1/2-inch of the plastic body/shell behind the buffing pad.  It can bump against what you're polishing.
c) throw away the drawstring terrycloth covers that come with the sander and purchase several of the inexpensive elastic terrycloth covers from Wal-mart.

vivi

Hi guys! I am having an unusually hard time putting the clear finger wheel back on the dial of this phone.... is there a trick to this one (vs. say the princess phones?)???? I am finally ready to assemble it and the icing on the cake wont go on!

Any tricks to this one?
~ Vivi

vivi

NOT TO WORRY... figured it out...need to put some pressure on it. Bezel tried to move even with retainer ring on it...... but under control now.  To finish this post correctly, I will post pics of the final product.  Soon...  ;)

thanks y'all!
~ Vivi