News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

West Texas Telephone Co.

Started by wds, December 01, 2015, 05:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Got West Texas Telephone Co. candlestick in the mail today.  I've never seen a phone labeled with this company, and can't find any information about it either.  It almost looks like it was brass plated over the original brass - after the paint was removed.  The receiver arm has a "B" stamped on it.  Not sure what I have here - has anyone heard of this company before?
Dave

Doug Rose

Very nice Dave. Is is a 20-B? Is it Nickeled Brass, hard to tell with the pics. Sure is a beauty....Doug
Kidphone

wds

20-S.  No nickel - looks like someone stripped off the black paint, and maybe had it brass plated.  I will repaint it black over the winter.  I thought the tag on the front was quite unusual.
Dave

Sargeguy

I have heard of these before but I have never seen one.  Very cool.  Personally, I would nickel plate it.  There were plenty of "two-tone" 20-S phones, and the lettering will show up better.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

Thanks Greg, thanks a good idea.  Nickel transmitter, black phone. 
Dave

NorthernElectric

Quote from: wds on December 01, 2015, 05:58:58 PMNot sure what I have here - has anyone heard of this company before?

Not until now, but I found a bit of info.  This book should give an idea of the geographical area they operated in (in 1919).  It is basically an alphabetical list of communities followed by what telco they were served by and what the rates were.

Cliff

Jack Ryan

What is the significance of the shape of the transmitter ID?

It is not restricted the the West Texas Telephone Co. Was there a period when that shape was standard? I don't remember seeing that shape in catalogues. Those I have seen are marked "Western Electric" and the ID has a 'W' suffix - so they are not Bell parts.

Jack

Sargeguy

There are a couple of other transmitters that have tags shaped like that:

They usually show up on wooden interphones in my experience
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409