"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ok, Here is my Red Bar. And it's your fault, you talked me in to it...lol

Started by RB, December 11, 2018, 09:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

Got it home in one piece, dirty, and the Dial is frozen solid. :(
Dis assembled, and cleaned it up, and it looks much better...save the Dial.
How do you remove the Dial number ring?
I need to remove the Finger wheel, before givin it a bath in ultra sonic to remove as much crud n corrosion as possible.
Don't know if Steve can bring this one back???
The Condenser is split, indicating a bad cap, so, I will open/remove the old cap gunk, and replace with modern caps inside the orig body. And, I won't tell you I did it...so nobody will know.
The handset and line cord, are shot. So gonna order replacements from oldphones.
Other than the chip and crack in the back, this shud clean up nicely.
I hope the transmitter is usable??
Can you get replacement transmitters?

Ktownphoneco

RB  ...  Your dial is of the A.E. design.    I'm not sure if Kellogg bought them directly from A.E., or they were licensed to make them themselves.      Either way, your hunting for a tab on a brass retainer ring which should be positioned at around the digit "5" location.     Use a small flat blade screw driver, slide it under the number card ring until it stops.  Push down slightly on the shaft of the screw driver, while at the same time moving it clockwise and counter clockwise while feeling for that tab.     When you find it, position the screw blade on the right side of the tab and apply pressure in an counter clockwise direct which should move the tab to the left, which will release the number card ring, and lift up on the screw driver.     I'll see of I can find some pictures to show you what your looking for and where it's located.

Jeff Lamb

RB

Got the pics and procedure from Teleplay.

Thanks guys.

=====================================

EDIT: This is a current and one posterity link, each with images showing the steps, provided to RB

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5833.msg70508#msg70508

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=21525.msg219433#msg219433

HarrySmith

That dial looks like it spent some time underwater! If you can't get it working I am sure Steve can.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RB

19and41

That poor thing looks like it came out of a grain elevator or mill.  It does look like it has potential, though.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

RB

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

RB