News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rare to me -1958 Northern Electric 500

Started by rbouch, December 05, 2018, 08:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbouch

It has been some time since I have had the chance to post here.  But I ran into a 500 a week ago that has spurred me to do so.
It was found under a pile of detritus at a local flea market, and is a completely intact 1958 Northern Electric 500.
I have been amazed by members finds here on CRPF, but never have found an intact 500 older than 1961 in my travels.  There was always something changed out (most commonly the metal strap the dial sits on,  sure looks like 500s got dropped a lot).
So this one was a big deal to me, laying there orphaned with years of protective crud all over it:

rbouch

It cost us $10 Canadian and I think the seller at the market was mystified I would even pay that much.

But after a  cleaning/oiling  of the dial, a bath in vim for the shell, handset, bezel, gasket and fingerwheel, etc. The unit came back quite nicely.

Not perfect,  but working really well and easily the oldest 500 I have.  Also my first with the old straight handset cord.

I'm not sure why, but items like this seem awful hard to fine where I live, and I still am quite pleased to have finally found one of these untouched

Jim Stettler

That phone  really cleaned up nicely.
Well Done,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

rbouch

Thanks, a little Novus didn't hurt either.

Great find, I have always liked the older 500's.  :)

LarryInMichigan

That looks great, and the price was a bargain.  Finding a bakelite handset with such a gloss is not easy.  A black paint marker can be used to touch up the worn paint on the finger wheel.

Larry

CanadianGuy

Quote from: rbouch on December 05, 2018, 08:18:19 PM
I'm not sure why, but items like this seem awful hard to fine where I live

Mind me asking where you live? I'm in Winnipeg, and though I don't go to flea markets (no time or money  ;D) I do see quite a variety of phones in people's homes every day. I've been given an Ericofon on two different occasions, and one lady planned to replace her two NE 554's (I think?) so I left my number, but never heard back.

I'm not trying to build a collection. I'm just as happy to look at them and take pictures. Nice phone, by the way!

Pourme

I do love those soft plastic 500's....even in black. I walked into a collectible store one day and found my numbers matching black WE 500 birthday phone, 09/52, it cleaned up like new.

Yours cleaned up nicely as well, enjoy your new phone!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

tubaman

That's cleaned-up very nicely - well done!
Agree that the soft plastic ones are special, and I really like the Bakelite G1 handsets.
I only have one soft plastic 500, mostly made in 1951, and that has somewhat of an aroma to it, which just adds to its character as far as I'm concerned.
:)

rbouch

Thanks to all for your comments.
Canadian guy, I am about an hour northeast of Toronto.
Around here I have found a a multitude of  candlesticks, 302s, automatic electric gear, and even nice open centred ne 500s.
But phones like this (old 500s) and with this dating are tough it seems.
Might be because, as a long time resident of my street told me, we didn't get dial service until 1966.
But I travel pretty  far afield and always have the same trouble.
For those who commented on the g1 handset, yes I was pleased too.  This is my 5th g1 and, aside from one that flaked apart in my hands, I have been lucky in that area.

Quote from: rbouch on December 06, 2018, 09:29:53 AM
Thanks to all for your comments.
Canadian guy, I am about an hour northeast of Toronto.
Around here I have found a a multitude of  candlesticks, 302s, automatic electric gear, and even nice open centred ne 500s.
But phones like this (old 500s) and with this dating are tough it seems.
Might be because, as a long time resident of my street told me, we didn't get dial service until 1966.
But I travel pretty  far afield and always have the same trouble.
For those who commented on the g1 handset, yes I was pleased too.  This is my 5th g1 and, aside from one that flaked apart in my hands, I have been lucky in that area.

rbouch,

I'm east of Toronto by 2 hours in Belleville.

Here is my 1958 NE 500 with all matching dates. This phone has not been touched. It is as I got it, all original. It has the G1 handset as well.
It looks like yours was made in the first quarter of 58 and mine was the second quarter of 58.

I have a 1959 NE 500 and it has the coiled handset cord and G3 handset.

rbouch

Very nice!
I have had a 59 for some time but, as I mentioned in am earlier post, the strap that supports the dial was changed out in 69.
Curly cord as well, with imitation leather neoprene feet, even a g1 handset.  But those dial straps.....