News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help Needed in Deciding to Pursue or Not... Large lot of telephones and parts

Started by Nick in Manitou, March 26, 2018, 09:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

A friend of mine bought a couple of the 20' containers for his mountain property. He calls his  a "Man Can". His wife uses her's as a library. They needed the 20' ones due to the winding roads to the property. You can also buy 40' Containers. These are single use containers that came out of Denver. Very cool containers.
My wife says I don't need one.
JMO,
JimS.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Nick in Manitou

Still up to my ears packing and moving phones and "stuff".

I have used up most of the room in the garage and there is quite a bit more to come.

I will post a few general shots and a few of more interesting things I have come across so far.

Nick

Nick in Manitou

Some more...

Any ideas on the portable unit in the black case?

The "Telephone Planned Home" sign is painted Masonite or something similar.

Gotta go unpack and try to organize in order to make room for the next load.

Nick

AE_Collector

AE 40 with the extra buttons in first group of pictures is an AE47 three line phone. Second group of pictures the black wall box has an AE 43 wall phone though the bell (?) stuck to it isn't factory.

Terry

FABphones

Like some of the earlier interesting pics on this thread these photos (for me inparticular, photos 1, 2, 3 and 4 of the first group) are great to see. I see phones as works of art and I so want some of those in my collection.

I'll have to book into phone re-hab if I keep reading this thread (too late, I'm addicted I will keep reading this thread....).

;) :D
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Pourme

~

Nick,

I suggest, when you get to the point to where you are ready to sell parts of your find, you should create a page in the forum's classifieds to offer pieces for sale. You can set your asking price and you don't have to pay the EBAY fees. Perhaps both parties can save a bit this way.

Plus you have a prime group of phoneitis afflicted collectors yearning to fill spaces in their collections. I know I have certian phones I'm always on the look out for!

Just a suggestion, you may have already thought of this any way.

Keep the pictures coming....we LOVE pictures!

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

jsowers

I have one of those pink and black masonite "Telephone Planned Homes" signs too. They're quite rare. Most were tossed or forgotten. I've seen one or two others. They were put up to advertise an entire neighborhood of homes wired by the phone company for free, with inside wiring run to most important places in the house via conduit (sometime) and terminating with a box in the wall. It was left unterminated except where phones were installed or where jacks were needed.

If I were you, I'd sell that sign on eBay and let it go to the highest bidder. There's no telling how much it's worth because they don't come along very often. If you search on "telephone planned home" on eBay you will find a different, larger and more detailed sign that the seller wants $795 for and that's a pie in the sky price. It's been up for about 2-3 years.

Below is a scan from a bill insert from Southern Bell in 1959 about Telephone Planned Homes and it has a picture of the sign you and I have, on a post in front of a house. They used it in conjunction with a Parade of Homes in the spring.
Jonathan

Jim Stettler

I probably still have a flyer for a "telephone planned home". I will keep an eye out for it and post it eventually.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Nick in Manitou

Well, time and space are still in short supply, but I took a few more photos.

Since space is a real issue for me at this point, I am looking at some of the boxes of newer and in some cases, new, parts and will be posting just a few photos of these in case someone is interested in them. There are a number of packages of cords, a couple boxes of new handsets from Western Electric, some boxes of unmarked new handsets and a bunch of new plastic parts for candlestick style telephones. These are some of the items I would like to find a home for so that I have room to organize the older items.

Boxes of handsets in white, black, painted red, yellow, pink, blue...

Nick in Manitou

Again, some of the more modern stuff...and a couple photos of typical boxes of the older stuff...

I will eventually put some of this stuff into the classified section of the forum, but in the mean time if there is something you see that you need, please let me know. As I said, space is at a premium and if I can free some up, then I can more effectively unpack and organize what is still arriving in my garage.

Pourme

How do you sleep at night with all that phoneage out there, wanting to be looked at and touched?
Benny

kleenax

Quote from: Pourme on April 14, 2018, 04:38:02 PM
How do you sleep at night with all that phoneage out there, wanting to be looked at and touched?
You know, I have honestly been in that situation!  One time, after a particularly "fantastic find", I had to literally get out of bed, put my slippers on, walk out in the garage and look at my "booty" again!  :-)  Nick will NEVER regret what he has gotten himself into!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Pourme

Quote from: kleenax on April 14, 2018, 07:58:40 PM
You know, I have honestly been in that situation!  One time, after a particularly "fantastic find", I had to literally get out of bed, put my slippers on, walk out in the garage and look at my "booty" again!  :-)  Nick will NEVER regret what he has gotten himself into!

I can relate, Ray......I see the "booty" in his garage and think back how excited I get when UPS delivers ONE phone....I would probably sleep with Nicks huge purchase.....for a while.....
Benny

Sargeguy

So that's were all the stuff went when Ma Bell broke up!!! I think you should open an eBay store for all that NOS modern stuff.  Maybe you could make deal with OldPhoneWorks or The Olde Telphone Co. etc.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Nick in Manitou

That is a good idea, Sargeguy!  I have been trying to figure out where there might be a market for those parts!