"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Old Phone Works (Positive)

Started by George Knighton, December 02, 2012, 09:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: oldphoneworks on July 05, 2014, 07:48:40 PM
Doug Rose - you are using very strong words with regard to the 302 products sold by Oldphoneworks.  We aren't claiming to be offering phones configured exactly as they came from the factory (although that is a value added option.). Our phones are built for the consumer market using original parts and repro cords.  When ordering a phone, customers have the option of selecting dial type, trim options, cord color, etc.  and the phone price is set by the options selected.  We also offer many options not available from the OEM including brass and chrome handset bands on F1handsets, pulse to tone upgrades, and colors never offered by WE in 302s including baby blue, pink and orange. These are all customer options- they aren't something that we do to rip the customer off.  personally I like black cloth cords on a black 302.  I think they look great, regardless of the fact that WE didn't configure 302s that way). It funny that you say that companies like this will do you no favors.  I maintain that OPW bends over backwards to provide flexibility and options that are available no where else in the industry.  On top of that, our refurbishing process is amongst the best in the industry.

Clearly Doug, you are a purist when it come to phones, and I can certainly respect that approach to collecting.  It's important to remember, however, that phones were continuously upgraded and serviced with new parts while in active use.  They were improved with new parts and technology as it developed.  Oldphoneworks continues that tradition in the 21st century. 

It's nice when you can find a phone with all original parts, and we do offer date matched phones upon request.  It is, however, an expensive option given the amount of work that it takes for us to refurbish such a phone to our high standards.

Keep in mind Doug that it it wasn't for companies like Oldphoneworks, there wouldn't be products like new cloth covered cords, pulse to tone converters, reproduction mouthpieces and receivers, etc, available to the collector community.

No reputable company is in business to rip their customers off.  They offer products and services, and if the customers like those products and services, the company will prosper.  If not, the company will quickly fail.  Oldphoneworks has been offering products to consumers and collectors for almost 15 years.  We take great pride in our customer service, and our product offerings.  Yes, we aren't perfect, but we do try to address our mistakes in the best interest of the customer.

Separate note to tallguy58 and others.  OPW would love to give shipping discounts, but shipping already costs us about $1000 more each month that we collect in shipping charges.  Shipping from Canada across the border is very expensive.  There are sometimes cheaper options (ie - regular mail,) but we can't provide tracking info so we generally don't use them.

Don Woodbury

Don,

In my opinion this would have been more appropriate for a personal message, (speaking from experience.)

Ben

Doug Rose

Quote from: oldphoneworks on July 05, 2014, 07:48:40 PM
Doug Rose - you are using very strong words with regard to the 302 products sold by Oldphoneworks.  We aren't claiming to be offering phones configured exactly as they came from the factory (although that is a value added option.). Our phones are built for the consumer market using original parts and repro cords.  When ordering a phone, customers have the option of selecting dial type, trim options, cord color, etc.  and the phone price is set by the options selected.  We also offer many options not available from the OEM including brass and chrome handset bands on F1handsets, pulse to tone upgrades, and colors never offered by WE in 302s including baby blue, pink and orange. These are all customer options- they aren't something that we do to rip the customer off.  personally I like black cloth cords on a black 302.  I think they look great, regardless of the fact that WE didn't configure 302s that way). It funny that you say that companies like this will do you no favors.  I maintain that OPW bends over backwards to provide flexibility and options that are available no where else in the industry.  On top of that, our refurbishing process is amongst the best in the industry.

Clearly Doug, you are a purist when it come to phones, and I can certainly respect that approach to collecting.  It's important to remember, however, that phones were continuously upgraded and serviced with new parts while in active use.  They were improved with new parts and technology as it developed.  Oldphoneworks continues that tradition in the 21st century. 

It's nice when you can find a phone with all original parts, and we do offer date matched phones upon request.  It is, however, an expensive option given the amount of work that it takes for us to refurbish such a phone to our high standards.

Keep in mind Doug that it it wasn't for companies like Oldphoneworks, there wouldn't be products like new cloth covered cords, pulse to tone converters, reproduction mouthpieces and receivers, etc, available to the collector community.

No reputable company is in business to rip their customers off.  They offer products and services, and if the customers like those products and services, the company will prosper.  If not, the company will quickly fail.  Oldphoneworks has been offering products to consumers and collectors for almost 15 years.  We take great pride in our customer service, and our product offerings.  Yes, we aren't perfect, but we do try to address our mistakes in the best interest of the customer.

Separate note to tallguy58 and others.  OPW would love to give shipping discounts, but shipping already costs us about $1000 more each month that we collect in shipping charges.  Shipping from Canada across the border is very expensive.  There are sometimes cheaper options (ie - regular mail,) but we can't provide tracking info so we generally don't use them.

Don Woodbury

Don....I never said you were trying to "rip off" customers. I do stand by my comments. I imagine this phone cost well over $200. Why was the base painted inside?  I have never seen a dial cover like that in my over 35 years of collecting.

I know you provide a service, but I do not use repro cords or pulse to tone converters, as they were not made by WE. Why would anyone else? Get a Panasonic 616 fro the cost of one dial converter if you do not have rotary service.

I did use your celluloid dial covers until it got way to expensive to ship such a light item. That is a common theme.

I was trying to point out to Charles that he didn't get what he paid for, at least in my humble opinion. A 302 found in the wild will work on today's phone systems in most cases. I have sold a lot of them.

I was a newbie many years ago. long before eBay or I found the ATCA. I fell to the upgraded dials and repro parts that another company sold me as real. I was naive, but I did learn. I was trying to help Charles learn, not slam OPW. Whether black cloth cords or metal bands look good on a 302, they were no made that way. That is all I was saying.

I was just trying to point out to Charles that this was not a phone for the collector. I know my views are not shared by the membership and many use your service. That is good for you.  I am a purist, you are correct. I will wait for the real deal to come along. Seeing a phone like this is troubling. OPW is looked on very favorable by the Forum and the members are good customers to you. I am the lone holdout.

Again, I stand by my comments, no disrespect intended. In my humble opinion, I spoke the truth. There are always two sides to every story. Sorry if I upset you, certainly not my intention....Doug Rose

Kidphone

HarrySmith

OK, Guys. Everyone has thier own opinions and that is fine but please do not continue this discussion here. If you have more to say to each other please keep it private. Thanks!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

oldphoneworks

IMHO

It's the variety of opinions, knowledge and collecting strategies that makes the forum worthwhile and interesting.

There are degress to everything.  I've met people who are hesitant to clean the dust off of a phone for fear of ruining the authenticity.  For others, nothing less than a full tear down and refinish to new condition will do.

What we provide at OPW is choice to the customer.  A phone ordered from OPW can be configured the way the customer desires to match there budget and esthetic sense.  Many customers choose a No 6 dial in a 302 because it is less expensive, and arguably a better dial than the No 4 or No 5 alternative.
I have over 1000 302s in the warehouse, and I would never be able to sell them all if I offered them only in their original configuration.  Customer choice is what makes the business model possible.

With regard to pulse to tone, a Panasonic 616 or equivalent is not an option for most people.  Our Rotatone product installs inside any Rotary phone providing a self contained solution that can be moved with the phone to other locations without the need to carry around a KSU.  The Rotatone provides features not available with the 616 solution including # and * dialing capabilility, hot line dialing, and memory locations to store frequently used numbers.  it represents a natural evolution of the rotary phone, and is undoubtedly something the major manufacturers would have come up with for the installed base of rotary phone if rotary was still the driving force in the industry.  Is it for everyone - no, but is is just another option that OPW offers their customers.

Obviously, you can take it, or leave it, but thousands of customers do take it.  (I suspect that I'd have a difficult time finding enough Panasonic 616s to satisfy all those customers! (-;

Charles

All,

I considered what I wanted before I ordered. I was looking for a completely restored (like new) phone. I understood that I would be getting a non date matched matched phone with a newer dial and a newly refinished base. I picked the dial type and cord color. I am very happy with the phone.

With regard to my positive customer service comments, the phone I originally received had some cosmetic issues (although it worked great). I worked with OPW customer service and they shipped me a new phone (which is the one that is pictured) and paid for my return shipping on the original as well as the shipping for the replacement. In addition, the phone has date matched coil, ringer and receiver element (which I was not expecting). In the end I am still a happy customer.

Charles

Babybearjs

I've been buying from them for awhile. lately though the stock has been "ify" at best.... I have been ordering cloth covered handset cords from them and specifying vinyl conductors.... they sent me cloth conductors... there was a mention earlier this year about them not being able to get the vinyl.... does anyone know the status?? my recent order was the same as before... cloth instead of vinyl.... when I specifically asked for vinyl.... is this human error, or are they still having stock problems.....
John

Phonesrfun

I would suggest you call Don Woodbury at Old Phone Works personally and ask him.
-Bill G

Babybearjs

they are sending me out the replacement cords, and I'll send back the cloth version cords....
John

poplar1

OPW has added a new option for shipments to the US:

Bubble Envelope -- No Tracking  (US $3.75) -- 10-14 Business Days

That was for 50' of 5-conductor cordage.

So, I checked on the price to mail one "dial centre" number card.
The former cost was about $10
It is now showing as $3.80

Still not perfect, but better. I don't really understand how the shipping is calculated, but at least there is no "Mary has to get paid for packing" or $10 minimum for a 2-gram #card.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

mazda_matt

Quote from: poplar1 on April 23, 2016, 04:52:54 PM
OPW has added a new option for shipments to the US:

Bubble Envelope -- No Tracking  (US $3.75) -- 10-14 Business Days

That was for 50' of 5-conductor cordage.

So, I checked on the price to mail one "dial centre" number card.
The former cost was about $10
It is now showing as $3.80

Still not perfect, but better. I don't really understand how the shipping is calculated, but at least there is no "Mary has to get paid for packing" or $10 minimum for a 2-gram #card.

You should see envelope shipping as an option now for certain items like dial cards, acetates and water decals and starts are $1.50.

-Matt
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

Coupon Code - CRF10 (10% off)