News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cheep 12-1955 500

Started by WesternElectricBen, January 04, 2013, 11:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Just won the auction for a 1956 (don't know if all years match) 500 rotary phone. As seen in picture I got it cheep (I think) and it has the 4 prong plug which is a plus for me. Though the cord doesn't match colors (it's a strait brown cord). Tell me what ya think. It's not the find of the month but it's not bad!
Ben

twocvbloke

So long as it doesn't end up as a lamp phone, it's fine... :)

Though a link to the full ebay website is preferable, so the picture(s) of the phone can be looked at in detail to make a better assessment*... :)

(*or cos we just like looking at pictures!!! :D )

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 05, 2013, 11:04:47 AM
So long as it doesn't end up as a lamp phone, it's fine... :)

Though a link to the full ebay website is preferable, so the picture(s) of the phone can be looked at in detail to make a better assessment*... :)

(*or cos we just like looking at pictures!!! :D )

Ok will do

WesternElectricBen

Here is the link to the auction I won.

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290834884901?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

P.S. Its a mess, I'm going to have to get down in the nitty grittys...
Ben

twocvbloke

Seems you're a year out on that, it has 12-55 stamped on the base, so it's a year older than you thought... :)

Dennis Markham

I think you will find that the plastic is going to be from a later date.  The plungers appear to be clear which more than likely means a refurbishment along the way.  The handset caps may be later, plastic caps as well.  Still not a bad phone for the price.

jsowers

Dennis and I, as usual, are writing the same thing at the same time. Here's what I wrote and it's simiar to what he wrote...

Ben, cleaning it up and getting to the nitty gritty is the fun part for most of us. Much preferable to buying one already shiny.

It looks like it does have a Bakelite handset, or at least I see what looks like a seam in it. I do see center holes in the handset caps, although it's a dark picture. Center holes mean hard plastic from the 60s or 70s, so this phone has probably been refurbished, which isn't bad since it's very common. The coil cord is also from the 60s or 70s judging by the tapered strain relief. The brown cord is definitely not original to 1955 and the 505A plug isn't either, but at least it's black and it matches the phone.

You certainly got a good price on it. Any time you can pay less than shipping for a phone like this is good.

Here's one of the auction pictures, since eBay doesn't keep auctions up for long.
Jonathan

Dennis Markham

Sorry Jonathan on my bad timing.   Your post is much more thorough.  Looking at the photo again, those plungers just might be black Bakelite.  When I enlarged the photo on eBay they looked clear.  Hopefully I am wrong about this.  As you said, a nice buy and the fun part will be making it look nice again.

AE_Collector

When flat set cords were just out they were usually clear rather than silver-satin and many of them discoloured as this one has. Initially many flat cords were spades on each end but soon more and more of them were spade to mini plug and then as phones progressed to having jacks in them the cords went to mini plugs on each end. Of course as Jonathan said this cord was added later. The first flat cords I saw were in 1976 but they were probably around a little before that.

Terry

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: jsowers on January 05, 2013, 12:34:26 PM
Dennis and I, as usual, are writing the same thing at the same time. Here's what I wrote and it's simiar to what he wrote...

Ben, cleaning it up and getting to the nitty gritty is the fun part for most of us. Much preferable to buying one already shiny.

It looks like it does have a Bakelite handset, or at least I see what looks like a seam in it. I do see center holes in the handset caps, although it's a dark picture. Center holes mean hard plastic from the 60s or 70s, so this phone has probably been refurbished, which isn't bad since it's very common. The coil cord is also from the 60s or 70s judging by the tapered strain relief. The brown cord is definitely not original to 1955 and the 505A plug isn't either, but at least it's black and it matches the phone.

You certainly got a good price on it. Any time you can pay less than shipping for a phone like this is good.

Here's one of the auction pictures, since eBay doesn't keep auctions up for long.
Ah. Thank yoy (typing while super gluing) I have my blue 1958 phone which doesnt hsve the center caps, so its soft plastic. Would the more blocky four prong jack go on it or would it be originally hard wired? I much do prefer restoring myself. Thats why I like the really bad ones!
Ben

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: WesternElectricMcCabe on January 05, 2013, 12:48:16 PM
Quote from: jsowers on January 05, 2013, 12:34:26 PM

Ah. Thank yoy (typing while super gluing) I have my blue 1958 phone which doesnt hsve the center caps, so its soft plastic. Would the more blocky four prong jack go on it or would it be originally hard wired? I much do prefer restoring myself. Thats why I like the really bad ones!
Ben

Ah, good to know when restoring newer phones. Thanks
Ben

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 05, 2013, 12:38:44 PM
Sorry Jonathan on my bad timing.   Your post is much more thorough.  Looking at the photo again, those plungers just might be black Bakelite.  When I enlarged the photo on eBay they looked clear.  Hopefully I am wrong about this.  As you said, a nice buy and the fun part will be making it look nice again.

Yeh, I can't wait to tear into it.
Ben

jsowers

Originally this phone would have been either hard-wired or with a 4-prong 283B square plug. I've seen them with station wire (house wiring) instead of the usual black mounting cord, but a black 3-conductor mounting cord was the norm.

I've actually used a spool of light beige modular flat cable before and maybe I've seen brown flat cable too. I can't recall. The originally clear flat cable does turn brown over the years. Sometimes a golden brown, from I guess UV exposure. The modular cords that came with AE phones seemed to do it a lot, but I've seen WE ones turn too.

Dennis and I have what I call ESP. Extrasensory Softplastic Perception. We always bid on the same phones back in the day when they were plentiful and never knew who each other were until the Forum came along. I can't tell you how many times I said "I don't know who that Dennis guy is, but he sure has good taste in phones."  :) Nowadays, I can go for days and not post anything and then when I do, he's right there at the same time and with his lightning fast typing skills, he gets finished before I do. I guess we're like-minded souls or something.
Jonathan

Mr. Bones

Ben,

It looks like a nice phone at a great price!

I saw it while browsing, and had it in my watch list. Having  recently bought several 50's 500's, a 5302, two 302's, and three 554's I actually managed to pry my index finger from the left mouse button in time. (barely) :D

Enjoy, and keep us updated with pics and info, please.
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Mr. Bones on January 05, 2013, 01:15:25 PM
Ben,

It looks like a nice phone at a great price!

I saw it while browsing, and had it in my watch list. Having  recently bought several 50's 500's, a 5302, two 302's, and three 554's I actually managed to pry my index finger from the left mouse button in time. (barely) :D

Enjoy, and keep us updated with pics and info, please.

Ah, so it was you who bid the first bid?
Ben